Kare Kare Instant Pot
Kare Kare is a Filipino stew with savory peanut sauce can be cooked in an instant pot from start to finish.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 2 pounds pork belly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic crushed and minced
- ¼ to 1/2 cup peanut butter or ½ cup ground peanuts
- 4 teaspoons roasted ground rice
- 1 tablespoon annatto powder or paprika or 1/3 cup annatto seeds achuete diluted in 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 ½ cups water or broth
- 4 bundles bok choy
- ½ cup shrimp paste bagoong cooked
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or salt to taste
Plug Instant Pot and Press Saute.
Set time to 20 minutes. Display will show “HOT”.
Saute onion until soft.
Add garlic and cook until golden.
Add pork belly.
Once pork belly turns pale add annatto powder and peanut butter. Mix well.
Season with salt or fish sauce.
If time hasn’t elapsed press CANCEL to stop Saute program.
Place the Instant Pot lid.
Turn the Steam Release Handle to Sealing.
Press Pressure Cook.
Set to Normal and time to 35 minutes.
Once pressurize the float valve will rise. Note: Do not put your face or hand in this area. You can get burn.
Display will show a countdown. Once time has elapsed and display shows the letter “L” and numbers.
Press CANCEL to stop the program.
Wait until float valve goes down. Once down turn the Steam Release Handle to Venting. Note: You can manually release the steam instead of waiting for the float valve to go down. Read the manual.
Now it is Ok to open the lid.
Meat should be tender. Transfer meat to a serving plate. Note: If meat is not tender yet read the recipe notes.
Press SAUTE and set time to 20 minutes. Display will change to HOT.
Add veggies. When cook transfer to serving plate.
Let sauce simmer until it is reduced.
Stir-in ground roasted rice to thicken sauce.
Press CANCEL if time has not elapsed yet.
Transfer sauce to serving plate.
Serve Kare Kare hot with a side of bagoong (shrimp paste). Enjoy!
- I use Instant Pot 7 in 1 6 quarts Model IP-DUO60 v3. Serves up to 6 people.
- When pressing a cooking program and time has elapsed and you are not done yet just press again the cooking program and set the time. Example: If Pressure Cook time has elapsed and meat is not tender yet. Press again PRESSURE COOK and you need to estimate the time needed to make it tender. I usually start low. 5 minutes makes a big difference so I usually start with 3 minutes.
- If you are done with the cooking program but the time has not elapsed yet press CANCEL.
- The cooking time listed is amount of ingredients in this recipe. If you double the recipe you need to estimate the time. You don't necessarily double the cooking time.
- It will be a trial and error the first time you cook a dish in the instant pot. Eventually after cooking a few dishes you have an idea how much time to cook a certain dish.
Calories: 1557kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 141g | Saturated Fat: 54g | Cholesterol: 341mg | Sodium: 1956mg | Potassium: 2722mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 37554IU | Vitamin C: 382mg | Calcium: 983mg | Iron: 10mg