Misua at Patola Soup
A simple flavorful soup made with misua noodles and patola (sponge gourd).
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 large patola peeled and sliced
- 2-3 ounces misua or vermicelli noodles
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
Using a peeler, peel the skin of patola (sponge gourd). Slice patola lengthwise then crosswise about ¼ inch thick. Remove and discard hard seeds.
In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
Saute onion until softened.
Add garlic. Cook until golden.
Add ground pork. Cook until pale.
Pour water or chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Season with fish sauce, chicken bouillon, ground black pepper and garlic powder.
Lower heat and add patola. Cook for about 4 minutes or until tender.
Add misua noodles or vermicelli. This will cook in about 1 to 2 minutes.
Season with salt, if needed.
Serve hot. Enjoy!
- If using chicken stock, it is ok not to add chicken bouillon. You could put a little bit if you like.
- If using water, add chicken bouillon for a flavorful soup. If not using chicken bouillon, reduce water to only 2 cups.
- Choose a young patola vegetable. It is less fibrous.
Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 638mg | Potassium: 153mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg