Baked Chicken Pesto with Tomato Mozzarella and Feta Cheese is made with skinless chicken breast topped with pesto sauce, tomato, mozzarella, feta cheese, salt and pepper. This is a quick and simple baked chicken pesto recipe that you can easily make on a busy week night.
Basil pesto and tomato mozzarella chicken bake
Basil pesto is the base flavor to this tomato mozzarella chicken bake. It is easy and delicious!
Use store-bought or homemade pesto sauce. Freshly made pesto is tastier than store-bought and it takes less than 10 minutes to make.
If you don’t have a pesto sauce recipe, try my Basil Pesto Sauce with Pine Nuts.
You can substitute the pine nuts with walnuts or almond nuts. Make ½ of the recipe and you have enough if you double this baked chicken recipe.
Tip: I always prepare extra servings of pesto sauce and freeze it. It is so convenient to have on hand when making pasta, fish or chicken.
How to make pesto chicken bake
This Baked Chicken Pesto with Tomato Mozzarella & Feta Cheese can be a meal on its own or serve it with vegetables, pasta or rice.
Preparation takes about 15 minutes of your time and 30 minutes in the oven to bake. It is quick and easy chicken recipe yet delicious.
While baking, prepare an easy side to go with it.
To make, arrange seasoned chicken breast in a casserole pan. Spread pesto on top of chicken, drizzle some lemon juice, add a layer of mozzarella, tomato and feta cheese. That’s it!
When done baking, you will notice a good amount of tasty juice is released. Pour this flavorful juice over pasta or rice and you have one delicious meal.
If you are on a low carb diet, serve it with vegetables and it is delicious as well.
I prefer to use sliced Mozzarella cheese than shredded. The brand is BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella that I got at Costco. It is also available at grocery stores.
Feta cheese is optional but I love adding it to this dish. I used Athenos Crumbled Feta that I got at Costco too.
This chicken dish takes 30 minutes to bake depending on the thickness of the chicken breast.
To make sure chicken is cook and safe to eat, use a thermometer. It should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Don’t over bake chicken to enjoy a juicy, tender meat.
Any leftover will be good for the following day. This is also good on a toasted French or Italian bread with fresh tomato and cheese.
I have to admit, I have the habit of washing meat or fish before cooking. I need to practice not doing this but I feel it’s unsanitary if I don’t. If I do though, nothing is on the sink and I clean the area right away. Some people will criticize me for doing this but it’s a habit that is hard to break. Oh, well!
For Homemade Pesto Sauce, click the link.
How to Make Baked Chicken Pesto with Tomato Mozzarella and Feta Cheese
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons basil pesto sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 roma tomato sliced
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese (BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella or any brand)
- 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- In a baking pan, place chicken breast seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Spread the basil pesto sauce evenly on top of chicken breast.
- Drizzle lemon juice.
- Top with mozarrella cheese, then tomato and feta cheese.
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the thickness of chicken. Note: To check if chicken is fully cooked, use a thermometer. Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees F.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
- After baking, a good amount of juice is released. Pour it over rice or pasta.
- Don’t over bake chicken to enjoy a juicy, tender meat.
- Any leftover will be good for the following day. This is also good on a toasted French or Italian bread with fresh tomato and cheese.
- If you prefer homemade Pesto Sauce, click the link.
Leave a Comment