These Air Fryer Chicken Wings are marinated in a perfect blend of seasonings, crisp on the outside while moist, juicy and tender in the inside. Cooking chicken wings in the air fryer is easy and takes only 20-25 minutes to cook.
Chicken wings are crisp and juicy without the hassle of deep frying and cleaning oil splatters all over. It is a great appetizer for game day or any gathering that pairs well with sides like vegetables or fries.
It is a crowd pleaser, so be sure to make more than enough as it is easy to have 6 or more pieces. Some people don’t eat any sides just chicken wings.
It took me a while to get an air fryer because I have a convection oven. Now, I wish I got it sooner. It is so easy to use plus I can cook different types of food.
Here are some of the chicken recipes I have cooked in my air fryer: Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast with Broccoli and Cheese, Air Fryer Chicken Tenders and Air Fryer Frozen Orange Chicken.
Chicken marinade ingredients
This chicken wings marinade recipe is simple and tasty. Combine cayenne pepper, garlic powder, ground pepper, white vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, dried oregano and salt.
You can substitute lime juice with lemon juice.
Also, soy sauce is salty and it doesn’t need so much salt.
Note: Bring out a bottle of Franks RedHot Buffalo Wings Hot Sauce or Louisiana sauce for people who love spicy wings.
How long to marinate chicken wings
Marinate chicken for 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Do not over marinate. Chicken tend to get mushy when marinated too long in lime and vinegar.
Tips for a perfect tasting chicken wings
Thaw chicken wings overnight in the refrigerator. For food safety, do not thaw in room temperature. The FDA suggest not to wash chicken, but in case you do, dry it with paper towel before marinating to remove excess water.
Marinate chicken wings for 4 hours or overnight in a big bowl or zip lock bag and toss around after a few hours. Discard marinade when ready to cook.
Chicken will release it’s juice when air fried, if you like, place wings on aluminum foil for the first 10 minutes of cooking until juice is released. This is very tasty as dip or poured over rice plus less clean-up too.
Spray basket lightly with oil and transfer chicken wings directly in the air fryer basket to continue cooking and crisp up. At the same, gather the top of foil and close it. Place it in the corner of air fryer so juice can continue cooking as well. Make sure to turn chicken to cook evenly.
How long to air fry chicken wings
Depending on the model of air fryer, cooking time can vary slightly. I have a Gourmia and the suggested cooking time for 1 pound (12 pieces drummettes or flats) is 20–25 minutes.
Without the foil, it was done in 23 minutes at 400 degrees F, preheated. With foil, I set it to 25 minutes and preheated.
Note: If your air fryer is small, do not overcrowd chicken and cook in batches. Air needs to circulate to cook chicken evenly.
Storing and reheating
Store leftover chicken wings in an airtight container up to 3 days in the refrigerator and reheat in the air fryer at 300 degrees F for 4 to 10 minutes depending on the amount.
No, for food safety I don’t suggest reusing the marinade.
No, for food safety I don’t suggest refreezing marinated chicken. Per USDA, it is perfectly safe to refreeze poultry that was thawed in the refrigerator but quality may be affected but nothing is mentioned about marinated chicken.
Once I thaw meat or poultry, I cook it ASAP.
Try other delicious and easy air fryer recipes
Marinated Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 8 –12 pieces chicken wings or 1 pound, drummettes and flats thawed
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- Make chicken marinade. In a big bowl or large zip lock bag, combine cayenne pepper, garlic powder, ground pepper, white vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, dried oregano and salt.
- Add chicken wings in marinade and marinate for 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Cover bowl with foil. After a few hours, toss chicken around.
- Set air fryer at 400 degrees F, preheat and cook chicken wings for 20–25 minutes. Depending on the model of air fryer, cooking time can vary slightly. Note: Before placing chicken, spray the air fry basket with oil. Also, discard marinade.
- Turn chicken wings halfway through cooking to brown and cook evenly.
- Serve with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
- Soy sauce is salty so depending on your taste, you can add or omit the salt.
- Serve hot sauce, if desired.
- I have a Gourmia and the suggested cooking time for 1 pound (12 pieces drummettes or flats) is 20–25 minutes.
- Chicken juice is release when cooking and it is very tasty as dip or poured over rice. If you like to save it, place chicken wings in a foil for the 1st 10 minutes then spray the air fryer basket lightly with oil and transfer the wings to continue cooking. At the same time, gather the top of foil, close it and place in the corner of air fryer so juice can continue cooking too. With foil, cooking time was 25 – 26 minutes. Not using a foil, it was done in 23 minutes.
- If your air fryer is small, do not overcrowd chicken and cook in batches. Air needs to circulate to cook chicken evenly.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 3 days in the refrigerator and reheat in air fryer at 300 degrees F for 3-10 minutes depending on the amount.