Creamy Mustard Sauce is a flavorful recipe that you can easily whip up even on busy weeknight. This mustard sauce is quick and simple to prepare with most ingredients already staples in your kitchen.
This creamy mustard sauce recipe will perfectly complement any meat, seafood or veggie dish.
I made Chicken Cordon Bleu today and smothered it with this decadent creamy sauce. It added more deliciousness to this chicken dish. Creamy but not too rich or heavy.
When you make this sauce, make sure that sauce pan is not too hot or you will end up burning the butter. Depending on your stove, it could be set between medium to low.
When you make roux, stove temperature should not be on high.
What is Roux?
Roux is butter and flour cooked together and used as a thickening agent when making sauces.
Heat sauce pan over medium heat on stove top. Melt butter, add flour and stir until mixture is well blended and smooth. It takes about a minute and half to get it smooth.
Basically, after making the roux, you just add all the ingredients until well blended and thick. That’s it. It is super easy.
This creamy mustard sauce is so simple and very flavorful, it enhances the flavor of any dish.
Just make sure if you have a dog that he doesn’t see you licking your plate. Your dog will probably not appreciate the competition.
How to Long to Store Mustard Sauce
Store leftover mustard sauce in a well sealed container for 3 to 4 days in the fridge and up to a month in the freezer.
Warm it in the microwave or stove. If frozen, thaw in fridge first.
If sauce is too thick, add a bit of milk to loosen up mixture.
Creamy Mustard Sauce Recipe
Creamy Mustard Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons parmesan cheese grated
- In a sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute until blended.
- Pour 1/4 cup of milk and whisk for about 2 minutes until flour mixture is blended.
- Pour remaining milk stirring constantly.
- Add mustard .
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cheese and continue stirring. Cook until it thickens.
- Turn off heat and transfer right away in a sauce dish. It will continue to thicken as it cools.