Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu looks complicated but it’s not. This tender, moist chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese, lightly coated with crunchy golden breadcrumbs is a crowd pleaser.
An elegant dish that is easy to prepare and cook for small intimate gatherings.
My moms’ antique cookbook acquired from Centro Escolar with pages falling apart has this Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe.
For years, I procrastinated making it until one day I watched a youtube video. Wow, it was so easy to make.
I got turned off by the long recipe but that's all it is – a long recipe with detailed steps on how to make Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Thanks to the youtube video, I finally dived into making this decadent stuffed chicken dish. It came out perfect when I first made it years ago.
Every time I make it, I get so much compliment about how delicious and moist the chicken is. The creamy richness of the mustard sauce makes this Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu more decadent.
There’s always someone asking for the recipe. Now that I have posted it on my site I tell them to watch my video first before going thru the long recipe.
How to Butterfly a Chicken Breast?
Lay chicken breast on a cutting board, use a sharp knife, place your hand on top of chicken and cut one side but not all the way through. When you open up the chicken breast it resembles a butterfly or an open book.
Can I fry this Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Definitely, I’ve never done it fried since baking is a healthier choice. The original recipe calls for deep frying. Deep fry at 325 degrees F for 3 to 4 minutes.
Another Great Tip
A few months ago while watching my favorite cooking show “The Chew” I’ve learned a great tip when making cordon bleu.
“The Chew” was cancelled and I miss it. It was a fun and entertaining afternoon show. Oh well. Clinton made Chicken Cordon Bleu and added crushed butter crackers with the panko mix.
That was a great idea, it added more flavor and very tasty. I have since incorporated crushed butter crackers to my recipe. My baked chicken cordon bleu has a more golden color and crunchiness to the breading.
How to Make this Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Try this tender, moist, breaded chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese and smother it with your favorite sauce. If you haven't tried, it pairs well with Creamy Mustard Sauce.
Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 1 boneless & skinless chicken breast
- 2 slices deli ham
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup panko
- 6 to 8 pieces garlic butter crackers crushed
- Olive oil spray
- Lay one slice of ham and lightly spread Dijon mustard. Add cheese to cover the whole ham and lightly spread Dijon mustard again. Roll into a log.
- Get another slice of ham and spread another layer of Dijon mustard. Lay cheese on top of ham and spread Dijon mustard. Take the 1st rolled ham and place in the middle of the 2nd assembled ham and cheese. Roll to make one log.
- Slice chicken breast on one side into a butterfly. Be careful not to cut all the way. It will look like a butterfly or an open book if you open the chicken breast.
- Season the inside of the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Take the ham and cheese roll and place it on one side of the chicken breast.
- Lift the other side of chicken breast to cover ham & cheese roll. Seal the chicken breast opening with 2 to 3 toothpicks. Season the outside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Prepare 3 dredging stations.
- In the 1st dish add flour. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the 2nd dish add egg, water, salt and pepper. Whisk all ingredients.
- Coat chicken breast lightly and evenly with flour. Shake and remove excess flour.
- Roll chicken breast in egg wash.
- Coat chicken evenly with panko cracker mixture.
- Transfer in a wire rack with the sprayed area at the bottom. Now, spray the other side or the top area.
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees F. Bake until golden brown for about 25 to 35 minutes. When baking chickens internal temperature should reach 160 – 165 degrees F. Note: Oven temperature will vary so adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Remove from oven and rest chicken for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve chicken with creamy mustard sauce or any sauce you desire.
Try Other Chicken Dish