Prepare your first Instant Pot Beef Morcon. Morcon is a marinated beef roulade, cut into thin sheets, rolled into a log and filled with slices of hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausage or hotdogs, sweet pickles and carrots. Typical meat used are Top or Bottom Round or Flank Steak. When I was at the store, I found a nice cut of Top Round.
This post is about cooking Beef Morcon in an Instant Pot. It will not show you how to prepare morcon. Please visit my original Morcon recipe to see how to prepare it.
Did you buy an Instant Pot during Black Friday or you got it as a Christmas gift. No matter how you acquired it – it is a great addition to your kitchen. Aside from being a pressure cooker, it comes with other great features like saute. You can easily prepare a meal with just one pot.
If you got your Instant Pot during Black Friday and it is still sitting in your kitchen cabinet and waiting to be used, you are not alone. No worries. Initially, there were confusions regarding safety hazards and recalls. I know many people including myself was so intimidated by this Instant Pot. I was so scared to use it the first time.
When we were kids, I remember my Mom’s ancient pressure cooker that whistles while cooking. At that point, we were not allowed in her kitchen. In fact, I have a brand new pressure cooker that has been in the cabinet for many years. Why I bought it??? Thinking I would be brave enough to use it. I’ve seen so many mishap while using a pressure cooker so it took me awhile to use my Instant Pot.
Believe me, just use it once and off you go. The fear of using your new Instant Pot will go away. Let me show you how to cook beef morcon in an instant pot. It will require less time compared to stove top cooking.
Instant Pot Beef Morcon Recipe
Cooking your first Instant Pot Beef Morcon is easy. Once you have assembled the morcon everything else is a breeze. With the “Saute” cooking program, you are able to brown the Beef Morcon on the same pot. One thing to remember, when using the “Saute” function DON’T COVER IT WITH THE INSTANT POT LID! Use a regular pot lid so it doesn’t splatter everywhere. In fact, use a splatter screen when sauteing.
This post will show you how to cook Beef Morcon (already prepared) using an Instant Pot. Please go to my original morcon recipe to see How to make Beef Morcon.
Instant Pot Beef Morcon
Instant Pot Beef Morcon Ingredients
- 2 pounds Top Round
- 5 tablespoons calamansi or juice from 1 lemon
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices bacon
- 1 medium carrot peeled and cut lengthwise
- 2 hotdogs or chorizo de bilbao
- 3 pieces Dill Spears or Sweet Pickles cut lengthwise
- Cheddar cheese sliced lengthwise
- 4 hard boiled eggs peeled and cut in half
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup oil
- Kitchen twine
Instant Pot Beef Morcon Sauce
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- marinade used on beef
- 1 can 8 oz – 227g tomato sauce
- 2 ½ cups beef broth or water
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small can 4 oz liver spread optional
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- For instructions on how to prepare morcon, please visit my original Morcon recipe. When ready cook in an instant pot, please come back to this page. There is a link to go back to this page.
- Set your Instant Pot to “Saute”. Set it to Low. Wait until the inner pot is hot.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil. When hot, brown the morcon. Remove from pot once it is brown. Set aside.
- Add more oil if needed. Saute onion until translucent.
- Toss-in the garlic and cook until golden.
- Pour the marinade and bring to a boil.
- Add bay leaves, tomato sauce, broth and garlic powder.
- Now it is time to use the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
- Put the lid and close it.
- Point the “Steam Release Handle” to “Sealed”.
- On the Display, press the PRESSURE COOKER.
- Set to NORMAL
- Set time to 25 minutes. (Note: Meat will get tender quicker using the pressure cooker mode. I prefer to set the time by installment. If I need more than 25 minutes I can repeat the same procedure. When making Morcon you don’t want the meat falling apart. With my instant pot the meat was tender in 25 minutes.Note: Different type of meat will require adjusting the cooking time. Unfortunately, at first it is a trial and error.
- Display will show ON.
- Then a 25 minute count down.
- Once done the display will show the elapsed time showing the letter “L with a #’. At this point press CANCEL.
- It is done. There are 2 ways to open the lid.
- NOTE: DO NOT PUT YOUR FACE OR HANDS OVER THE STEAM RELEASE. IT WILL BURN YOUR SKIN IF STEAM IS RELEASED.
- To force open the lid immediately after cooking you can manually release the steam. First cover the top lid with towel. Use a mitten and point the “RELEASE STEAM HANDLE” to VENT. Steam will be released. It is Ok to open the lid.
- The second way is to wait when the “FLOAT VALVE” goes down which might be a while.This is the method I used.
- It is time to open the lid.
- Remove morcon with a tong.
- Change Instant Pot setting to “SAUTE”.
- Set the time to 10 to 30 minutes.
- Display will change to “OK”.
- Let the sauce simmer until reduced. Once reduced, you may press CANCEL to stop the cooking program.
- Unplug the Instant Pot. Let the morcon cool down a bit. Remove the twine.
- Slice morcon. Add sauce on morcon or serve it on the side.
Can I freeze the Beef Morcon?
Yes, you can as long as you keep it in an air tight container such as a food saver. It is safe to store it for about a month or two.
I have a hard time cutting meat into thin sheets. Can I use smaller cuts of meat?
Yes, you can. When I made this recipe I used thin 4 in x 8 in cuts of meat. I laid two slices of meat adjacent to each other. Add all the fillings and rolled the meat. With the use of a kitchen twine I was able to make it into one long morcon.
How many morcon can I fit into an Instant Pot?
I was able to fit two 8 inches long of morcon. Measure the diameter of the Instant Pot before preparing the morcon.