Air Fryer Asparagus is easy and a delicious side dish for busy weeknights. Prep time is quick and cooking asparagus in air fryer only takes 7 minutes. After air frying, it comes out crisp and tender just like roasting in the oven but much quicker.
My air fryer is another great investment I’ve added in my kitchen. It took me a while to get it because I have a convection oven. It cooks quicker than a convention oven and I am loving it. I have used it almost everyday since I got it.
If you love stuffed chicken with asparagus, try this Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast and use asparagus instead. Also, this asparagus recipe is delicious with this Air Fryer Steak.
Did you get an air fryer during the holidays and haven’t used it yet, it is time to unbox and start cooking with it. One thing to note, the first few uses, it will emit a hot plastic smell and that’s normal with new air fryers. It will go away eventually.
Once you start using your air fryer, you’ll be hooked. It is so easy to cook food with easy clean-up as well. What’s not to love!
Read your manual and check out the air fryer recipes that you can make with this gadget. You’ll be surprise that many kinds of food like meat, vegetables or seafood can be cooked in the air fryer.
How to cook asparagus in air fryer
Wash and trim 2 inches off the base of the spears. Pat dry with paper towel.
Lightly brush asparagus with oil then season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Note: You can do this step on a plate or directly inside the air fryer basket, whichever is easier for you.
Place seasoned asparagus in air fryer basket in one layer. Set air fryer at 400 degrees F for 7 minutes. That’s it!
Note: Based on my research, temperature and cooking time are not the same for air fryers. It can slightly differ depending on the brand and how big your air fryer.
Also, it doesn't hurt to experiment by increasing or decreasing cooking time by a minute or couple of minutes to find the right balance of texture to your liking. You can also lower the temperature.
How long to cook asparagus in air fryer
The suggested cooking time for the air fryer asparagus recipe is between 7–10 minutes. I always go with the lower number suggested in the manual and if I need more time to get it tender, I do it in increments of a minute.
Note: Experiment with your air fryer. In my case, I tried cooking the asparagus at 7 and 8 minutes. I prefer the texture of asparagus cooked at 7 minutes.
Refrigerate leftover in an airtight container up to 4 days and reheat in the air fryer. I don’t suggest freezing cooked asparagus.
I set air fryer temperature to 300 degrees F between 2 to 3 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
No, I didn’t and it came out perfect.
No since it is light, not thick and in single layer. If you have 2 layers then turn the asparagus to cook evenly.
Yes, it is safe to pull the basket of your air fryer while cooking but do it quickly and check for doneness or turn the asparagus.
Put smaller batches of ingredients as suggested by your manual. Smaller batches are fried more evenly. I have a Gourmia 7 quarts/6.7L and they suggest a bunch.
I tried it at 400 degrees F for 7 minutes and it came out good. I also tried lowering the temperature to 390 degrees F for 8 minutes and it was also perfect.
Again, it doesn’t hurt to experiment with your air fryer. Just make sure you are adjusting the temperature and cooking time close to what your manual suggest.
Yes, you can. Again, for my particular brand, they suggest reheating any food at 300 degrees F between 1-10 minutes.
I reheated asparagus between 2 to 3 minutes.
Yes, you can. Do not thaw. Set temperature to 400 degrees F and cook between 10-12 minutes.
Other ingredients to enhance this air fried asparagus recipe
- Other spices of your choice like lemon pepper seasoning or Italian seasoning.
- Parmesan cheese or your favorite cheese.
- Wrap asparagus in ½ strip bacon. Set temperature at 375 degrees F and cook time between 9-12 minutes.
- Drizzle of lemon juice.
Try other delicious air fried recipes
Air Fryer Asparagus
- bunch of fresh asparagus about 20 spears
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and trim 2 inches off the base of the spears. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Lightly brush asparagus with oil then season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Note: You can do this step on a plate or directly inside the air fryer basket, whichever is easier for you.
- Place seasoned asparagus in air fryer basket in one layer. Set air fryer at 400 degrees F for 7 minutes. Do not pre-heat and no need to turn asparagus.
- Temperature and cooking time are not the same for air fryers. It can slightly differ depending on the brand and how big your air fryer. I suggest you read your manual before using your air fryer.
- Refrigerate leftover in an airtight container up to 4 days and reheat in the air fryer. I don’t suggest freezing cooked asparagus. I set air fryer temperature to 300 degrees F between 2 to 3 minutes.
- You can also cook frozen asparagus at 400 degrees F between 10-12 minutes. Don’t thaw asparagus.
- If you have 2 layers of asparagus, I suggest that you set the reminder to turn the asparagus to cook evenly.
- As suggested in most air fryer manuals, cook smaller amounts of food to cook evenly. Follow the suggested temperature and cooking time suggested in your manual.
- For more air fryer tips, read the post above.
Leave a Comment