Air Fryer Steak is moist, juicy and takes only 10-20 minutes to air fry. Cooking steak in air fryer is easy and quick, with no oil splatters to clean.
I was amazed the first time I cooked steak in the air fryer. It was done to my liking in only a few minutes. I was finally convinced that it is a great addition in my kitchen. In fact, I wish I got it sooner.
How to cook a perfect tasting air fried steak
Thaw steak overnight in the refrigerator. For food safety, do not thaw in room temperature. After thawing in the fridge, bring it to room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour before cooking for best results.
Season steak generously with salt and pepper. You can add other seasonings you like.
Do not overcrowd air fryer basket so steak cooks evenly. Air should circulate to cook your food. Cook in batches if you have a smaller air fryer.
Pre-heat air fryer before putting steak in the basket then halfway through cooking, turn the steak.
Use an instant read thermometer. This will ensure your steak is perfectly cooked to your liking.
After cooking, remove air fried steak and rest it for a few minutes covered loosely with foil before serving.
Test for doneness using a meat thermometer or instant read thermometer for a perfect steak every time.
Tip: Insert the thermometer in the center of the thickest part of steak not touching the bone.
Remove steak from air fryer when thermometer is 5 degrees F lower than desired doneness then rest for 3-5 minutes covered loosely in foil. It will continue cooking while resting.
For example, if you like it rare, remove it from air fryer when thermometer registers 120 degrees F.
|Rare||125 degrees F|
|Medium-Rare||135 degrees F|
|Medium||145 degrees F|
|Medium-Well||150 degrees F|
|Well-Done||160 degrees F|
How long to cook steak in air fryer
I highly suggest using a meat thermometer to check for doneness. I have a Gourmia 7 quart and as a guideline, I can air fry 2 steaks (8 ounces each, 1 inch thick) at 400 degrees F. For bone-in, it takes 15-20 minutes and boneless between 10-15 minutes to cook.
Note: Depending on the brand or model of your air fryer, cooking time can slightly vary.
Tip: If you are new to using your air fryer, always start with the lowest cooking time and add more time if needed.
Storing and reheating leftovers
My suggestion is to cook steak that you can consume in one sitting. Freshly made steak is much better than reheating leftovers.
Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 2 days in the refrigerator and reheat in the air fryer at 300 degrees F for 3-6 minutes depending on the size or amount.
Try other delicious, easy air fryer recipes
Air Fryer Steak
- 1 bone-in ribeye steak 1.25 pounds or any cut, thawed
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- If steak is frozen, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour for best results.
- Pat dry steak with paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper. Note: You can add other seasonings if you like.
- Set air fryer to 400 degrees F, preheat and set time between 10-15 minutes for boneless or 15-20 minutes for bone-in. It is important to use a meat thermometer or instant read thermometer for desired doneness. See notes below for steak temperature.
- Halfway through cooking, turn steak.
- When done, remove steak from air fryer and rest for 3-5 minutes covered loosely in foil before serving.