Crescent Roll Pigs in a Blanket with Garlic Herb Butter are Lil’ Smokies or mini hot dogs and cheese wrapped in crescent roll dough and brushed with garlic herb butter sauce.
These mini crescent dogs are easy and great appetizer recipe for gatherings, bon fire or game days that is sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike.
Lil Smokies are mini hot dogs also known as cocktail wieners, cocktail franks or mini sausages.
In fact, the first time I heard the term Crescent Roll Pigs in a Blanket was from a former co-worker. Come to find out they were mini hot dogs wrapped in crescent roll.
I can’t believe, it’s a countdown to the much awaited Superbowl. The team I’m rooting for did not make it to the finals so I’m in it for the Half Time show.
For me, it is like watching a free concert and I’m sure this year will be special. Unfortunately, game day celebration will be different.
The stadium will not be packed with people and most will be watching at home with their immediate family.
Once in a while, I like watching it with friends in a restaurant or bar but it will definitely be at home this year.
If you are planning to make something easy, consider serving this Crescent Roll Pigs in a Blanket. No doubt, it will be a hit with everyone. It is simple and a great finger food.
They go quickly so make sure to make more than enough. This classic appetizer is so tasty and delicious.
If you have little ones, this would be a fun project for them. I’m sure they love to follow you around, so keep them busy and involve them with rolling and maybe someday, you can delegate this chore to them.
(1) If you really like it simple, you can make this with only 2 ingredients, Lil’ Smokies and crescent roll dough.
Note: I have made this with julienne red onion instead of cheese and they were delicious too but it is not popular among kids.
(2) Prepare your ingredients before taking out the crescent roll from the fridge. It is easier to work with it when chilled.
Make it in batches when making more than 1 package. Leave the other crescent roll dough until you are ready to use it.
(3) If Lil’ Smokies are frozen, move it in the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
(4) Cut the cheese into narrow strips about 1 ½ inches long and ¼ inch wide. You can make it bigger if you like.
Note: Lil’ Smokies and cheese are quite salty. I used Aged Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese but you can go with a lighter blend.
(5) The Garlic Herb Butter is optional. Use UNSALTED BUTTER. Melt butter over low heat on stove or in the microwave.
You can substitute the dried parsley with fresh parsley. Use 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley.
Substitute garlic powder with 1 to 2 small clove garlic finely minced.
Note: Crumble the dried parsley with your fingers before combining with butter.
How to Make Crescent Roll Pigs in a Blanket with Garlic Herb Butter
A package of crescent roll has 8 triangles. Follow the packaging instructions to open tube.
Carefully unroll crescent roll and separate each triangle.
Divide each triangle into 3 narrow strips for a total of 24 pieces.
Prepare 24 Lil’ Smokies or mini hot dogs and cheese.
Place smokies and cheese on the widest area of each triangle. Roll and place on ungreased cookie sheet with pointed end of dough facing down. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
Lightly brush the top and sides of each mini crescent dogs with garlic herb butter.
Arrange mini crescent dogs in a row 2 inches apart so they have room to expand.
Preheat oven at 350 degrees F and bake for 15 to 16 minutes or 375 degrees F and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. When done, remove immediately from cookie sheet.
Work in batches if making more than 1 package of crescent roll. It is easier to work with chilled dough.
Condiments to Serve with Crescent Roll Lil’ Smokies
These crescent roll lil’ smokies are tasty and delicious on its own. Some people might like to pair this classic appetizer with some condiments.
(3) Ranch Dressing
(4) Chili Sauce
(5) Chopped red onions
Can You Make Crescent Roll Pigs in a Blanket in Advance
On the Day of Gathering: You can make this crescent mini dogs ahead of time placed on ungreased cookie sheet. Cover it tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate up to 2 hours. When ready to serve, remove saran wrap and bake.
To Freeze: You can freeze baked crescent mini dogs once they have cooled down. In a large zip lock bag, arrange them in a single layer and lay them flat in the freezer.
Freeze up to a month and reheat at 325 degrees F for 14 to 16 minutes or until heated through. Place frozen crescent sausages on ungreased cookie sheet, loosely covered with foil.
You can reheat in the microwave BUT it will be soft.
Try Other Delicious Snacks or Appetizers
Crescent Roll Pigs in a Blanket with Garlic Herb Butter
- 24 pieces Lil’ Smokies
- 2 slices cheddar cheese cut into 24 pieces
- 1 (8 oz ) package crescent roll
Garlic Herb Butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley crumbled
- Read packaging instructions to open tube. Crescent roll dough package has 8 triangles.
- Carefully unroll crescent roll and separate triangles and divide each triangle into 3 narrow strips for a total of 24 cut pieces.
- Cut cheddar cheese into 24 pieces.
- Place lil’ smokies and cheese on the widest area of each crescent dough. Roll and place on ungreased cookie sheet with pointed end of dough facing down. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Melt butter on stove over low heat or in the microwave. If melting butter in the microwave, cover glassware with saran wrap with a small opening. Set time to 10 seconds increments.
- Make Garlic Herb Butter. Combine parsley and garlic powder with melted butter.
- Arrange mini crescent dogs in a row 2 inches apart so they have room to expand.
- Lightly brush the top and sides of each mini crescent dogs with garlic herb butter.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F and bake for 15 to 16 minutes or 375 degrees F and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. When done, remove immediately from cookie sheet.
- Serve with condiments like ketchup, mustard or ranch dressing. Enjoy!
- Keep crescent roll dough chilled. Remove from fridge when ready to use.
- If Lil' Smokies are frozen, thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Use UNSALTED BUTTER since Lil Smokies and cheese are quite salty already.