Barbecue Little Smokies with Grape Jelly is easy to make and a perfect appetizer for any gathering. These Little Smokies can be cooked on stove top, crock pot or even in an instant pot.
Tomorrow is Superbowl, if you think you need more appetizers on your spread, go run to the store and get these Little Smokies, Barbecue Sauce and Grape Jelly. You still have time to do it. In less than half an hour, you can serve these delicious smokies.
Adults and kids alike love these. It is addictive. You start eating 1, 2 and before you know it, you’ve had a dozen.
If you have your own barbecue recipe, you can always use that. When making these smokies, I prefer a sweeter barbecue sauce. When press for time, I love using Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet n Spicy Barbecue Sauce.
Tip: When I was working, I ordered Baby Back ribs at least twice a month. I always end up with packages of leftover barbecue sauce. I kept those and used it when I barbecue.
As you can tell, nothing goes to waste with me. What I do, I taste the sauce and add whatever seasoning it needs. I usually add brown sugar, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper.
So, there you go, if you have some, season it to your liking.
Guess what I’m devouring while creating this post. They are so delicious. Another one I can’t resist not having – cheese. I’m a big fan of cheese. Little Smokies and Cheese, YUMMY! It is 4:30am and this is what I am having.
Making little smokies recipe on stove top
It takes 20 minutes to make it on stove top. Use a non-stick pot so you don’t burn your barbecue sauce. Combine all the ingredients, Little Smokies, Barbecue Sauce, Grape Jelly, Garlic Powder and Cayenne Pepper.
That’s it! Bring it to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. It’s time to enjoy it!
Making little smokies recipe in crock pot or slow cooker
Using a crock pot is so convenient especially if you are bringing it to a potluck. If you are hosting the party, place the crock pot on the table keeping your smokies warm.
Combine all the ingredients, set it to High for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Done!
Tips in cooking barbecue little smokies with grape jelly
- If you have time brown the Little Smokies for a minute. It is more flavorful. I showed you the quickest way to make it.
- When smokies are cooked, remove from pot and reduce the sauce until thick. Pour some sauce over smokies and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
If using a crock pot, reduce sauce on stove top.
How to cook little smokies without barbecue sauce
Some people are not a big fan of barbecue sauce. Just like my brother, he doesn’t like dipping ribs in barbecue sauce. To some, it overpowers the taste of the meat.
Anyway, you can still enjoy this by browning it in a non-stick pan. If frozen, thaw in fridge. When you open the package, it is quite oily already so no need to add oil otherwise add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil.
Drain liquid. You can pat dry the smokies with paper towel before browning. I don’t.
Heat oil over medium heat. Add smokies and brown for 1 to 2 minutes. Check if you need to lower your stove heat.
When done, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil.
That’s it. You can still enjoy these babies without barbecue sauce.
How to reheat little smokies
This is where crock pot comes in handy. If you are hosting the party or bringing it to a potluck, plug it in to keep it warm.
Reheat in a microwave or stove top.
Can I make little smokies in advance
Yes, you can. Reheat before serving.
Try other easy little smokies recipes
Barbecue little smokies with grape jelly recipe & video
Barbecue Little Smokies with Grape Jelly
- 2 12 oz Little Smokies
- 2 cups Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet n Spicy or any sweet BBQ sauce
- 1 ½ cups grape jelly
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (can be ½ teaspoon if you love garlic)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- In a bowl, combine barbecue sauce, grape jelly, garlic powder and cayenne pepper until smooth.
- In a non-stick pan, add the Little Smokies and pour the barbecue sauce mixture.
- Set stove heat to medium or between medium-low.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer Little Smokies to serving bowl.
- Continue simmering sauce until thick.
- When done, pour some sauce over Little Smokies and serve remaining sauce on the side.
- Combine all the ingredients except Lil Smokies in a bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Put all the ingredients in crock pot or slow cooker.
- Set to High & cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Thicken sauce on stove top over medium to low heat. Leave smokies and about 3 tablespoons of sauce in crock pot.
- Once sauce is thick, put it back in crock pot and serve.
- Use a SWEET BARBECUE SAUCE.
- I showed you the quickest way to do this, but if you have time brown the smokies for about a minute or two over medium to low heat. Drain liquid, pat dry smokies with paper towel before browning (if you like). I don’t. Pour sauce then follow the instructions above.
- Refrigerate leftover, if there’s any - doesn’t happen in my household, in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
- Instant Pot is another way to cook these Lil Smokies.