Lumpiang Shanghai recipe is a deep fried spring roll also referred to as a small egg roll usually filled with ground pork and minced vegetables rolled into a log. There are many versions of lumpia shanghai. Our lumpiang shanghai recipe is a mixture of ground pork, minced shrimp and minced vegetables which I also use for pinsec, wonton and rellenong hipon (stuffed shrimp).
Lumpiang shanghai, pancit and lechon kawali are some of the popular Filipino dishes usually served in Filipino gatherings. It is a finger food dipped in sweet and sour sauce or ketchup that can be very addicting!
While cooking I can easily have 10 pieces or more. When we were younger my mom’s cook would serve a few pieces to my brother and cousin (who lived with us) and hid the rest so others can have it too.
Lumpiang Shanghai can be made ahead of time and best kept in resealable bags or tightly sealed containers to freeze. As long as it is well sealed it can stay in the freezer for a few weeks. When I have a craving I throw it frozen in my deep fryer for 5 minutes with a side of ketchup.
How to Make a Lumpiang Shanghai
Watch my video “Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe” and "How to Wrap Lumpiang Shanghai". Make it today. Magluto na tayo!
Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe
- 1 ½ pound ground pork
- ½ pound shrimp minced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon chicken boullion
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 small jicama finely chopped or ½ cup or ½ cup water chestnut
- 1 small carrot finely chopped or ½ cup
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- Spring Roll Shells Wrapper measures 8 ½ x 9 inches
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients evenly.
- Take one wrapper and cover the rest with damp paper towel or cloth to maintain moisture.
- On a flat surface lay the wrapper and put 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture.
- Spread the meat mixture evenly two inches away from the edge of the wrapper.
- Pull the edge of the wrapper and wrap it over the meat mixture and roll it tightly into a log.
- Seal the edge with water.
- Cut lumpia shanghai into 3 pieces. Set aside.
- Repeat the process until all meat mixtures are wrapped.
- In a deep pot heat oil. I’m using a deep fryer set at 375 degrees.
- Fry spring rolls until golden.
- Once done lift and hang the basket out of the fryer for 20 seconds to let the excess oil to drain.
- Before putting another batch check the fryer has reached the 375 temperature.