We all know what a squash is but what is Shakshuka. Easy Kabocha Squash Shakshuka recipe? What is it?
Shakshuka is a dish of poached eggs in a tomato based sauce, chili, bell peppers, and onions, spiced with cumin and paprika.
There are many variants of shakshuka and Kabocha Squash Shakshuka is one of my favorite and easy shakshuka recipe.
It originated in North Africa but was also popular in the Middle East. The egg is poached meaning the egg white is well cooked with a runny yolk.
Years ago I worked with a Middle Eastern lady and that was the first time I had a taste of Kabocha Squash Shakshuka.
At that time, I was clueless with the name of the dish and referred to it as saucy squash.
Sometimes, she made it with beans instead of squash and it was really delicious. One thing that stood out was it’s smoky flavor.
Although it is a popular dish for breakfast, they also have it for lunch or dinner. She paired it with pita bread.
For some reason, this reminds me of Sarciadong Itlog without the kabocha.
So anyway, when I left my job I lost touch with her.
I was watching a show that featured this dish. I finally have a name and it looked so much like the dish my co-worker makes. So I googled it and saw a recipe from ahouseinthehills.com.
I was so anxious to make this easy shakshuka recipe and it turned out to be very similar to my co-worker's dish.
Tips in Making Kabocha Squash Shakshuka
Whenever I have squash, it's usually big that I can also make this dish. Her recipe calls for saffron and I have made it with or without saffron and it still turned out delicious.
I used olive oil instead of coconut oil. Also, her recipe called for regular paprika instead I used smoked paprika.
The mixture was quite thick so I added a cup of water.
Instead of cracking the egg in a bowl and transferring it to the skillet, I cracked the egg and directly placed it in the skillet.
I made a few tweaks to the recipe but other than that her recipe was spot on. Thank you for sharing.
How to Make this Easy Shakshuka Recipe
You will be amazed how easy it is to make this dish. Watch my video "How to make Kabocha Squash Shakshuka Recipe". Try it today. Magluto na tayo!
Next time I will feature my easy Shakshuka recipe with Feta and Spinach.
Easy Shakshuka Recipe
Kabocha Squash Shakshuka
- 5 eggs
- 1 medium sized yellow onion chopped
- 28 oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups of kabocha squash peeled and chopped to 1 inch cubes
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded and diced into small pieces
- 1 large jalapeno seeded and diced into small pieces
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of saffron about 20 threads (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- parsley for garnish chopped
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a wide skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Stir in the roasted tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add green pepper and jalapeno and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Toss-in the kabocha squash, the regular and smoked paprika, cumin and saffron. Mix well.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until squash is half cooked.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and gently slid it to the top of the tomato mixture or just crack the egg and directly transfer it to the tomato mixture. Either way works.
- Cover and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until squash is cooked (not overcooked or mushy) and egg whites has solidified with runny yolks.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve with pita or bread. Enjoy!