Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce is Today’s Delight. Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls is a medley of chopped vegetables, cooked shrimps, rice vermicelli rolled in a rice paper thin sheet and served with a savory peanut sauce. You can make this dish a Vegetarian Vietnamese Spring Roll by eliminating some of the spring roll ingredients. If you make extra spring rolls it can last for 2 to 3 days in the fridge. Typically, it is serve with peanut sauce but you can always pair it with your favorite dipping sauce like Thai Basil Pesto.
Don’t be deterred in making this spring roll. This Vietnamese Spring Roll recipe only looks complicated but once you have rolled a few it becomes easier. It doesn’t have to be a perfect roll. Taste is still delicious and at the same time healthy.
It is a New Year and I want to start my post with something healthy like this Fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls.
Here’s one of my New Year’s Resolution and it could be yours too.
Usually during New Year people tend to set resolutions or goals. Typically, one of the most sought resolution is trying to be healthy. I’m sure we have all done it. Some are successful and some are not but it is never too late. This is the time when most health clubs get people to sign up. In most cases, some people like being outdoors especially if they live in warm weather. Getting fit and healthy is not just about exercising. I believe that the most important thing to watch out is one’s diet.
I’m not a big fan of any diet but if you find a diet that works for you then stick with it. Taking pills to loose weight is something I will probably never try. Maybe if prescribed by a doctor to help start the process. I really believe that diet and exercise go hand in hand. Again, this might not work for some instead other alternatives might be suggested by your doctor. Please discuss with your doctor if starting a new diet.
Two and half years ago I quit smoking. I knew then I will gain weight. Soda and sweets are my culprits or weakness. I never kept soda in my fridge ever but it became an excuse that it helps me from not smoking. One of my supporter was the VP of the company I worked for. He convinced me so many times to kick the habit.
I know it is stupid to say but honestly I love smoking. I joked my manager if he sees me smoking to fire me. He rolled his eyes and I laughed. He noticed my love for sweets and it was funny when he told me to stop eating chocolate.
Anyway, when I was younger I quit smoking for 6 months and lost 10 pounds. That is always my basis that I can do it without gaining weight. I religiously exercise and lost weight. The step and aerobics class I attended were always fully packed. The regulars knew each other and looked out for each other and saved a step platform if one was late. We made it fun thus I was there all the time.
Now, I am older my metabolism is much slower but with diet and exercise I believe I can lose the weight I gained. So one of my New Year’s resolution is to lose 30 pounds this year. I love fashion and buying clothes and right now I don’t even want to go shopping.
Well one of the reason I want to lose the weight is not just because I love clothes but I feel the difference when I was lighter. The reason why I say I was more healthier when I was smoking is because my blood works and blood pressure were normal. Now that I gained all these weight my numbers are all off and it is harder for my right hip and knee.
As I have said earlier, I am not a big fan of diets. I just watch the portions of what I eat. Instead of having rice I have a variety of vegetables on my plate and lots of fruits. In fact, when I was working my co-workers have always mentioned that my salads looked good. It had to look appetizing or else I won’t eat it. My salads were colorful just like this Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls. I still kept chocolate or a Ben and Jerry’s in my fridge so I don’t deprive myself of the sweets I love. Instead of having a cupful of BnJ ice cream I might have 2 tablespoons.
When I gained 30 pounds I was actually trying to lose some weight but instead I gained more. So for this year my goal is 30 pounds and the rest would be for the following year. I don’t want to overwhelm myself since I know it doesn’t work. While loosing weight I want it to be fun and not miserable. If by the end of the year I only lost a few pounds I will still consider it a win-win situation. It doesn’t fazed me what other people would say all I care is what makes me happy!
Now that I have announced it to the whole world it might be a motivation. I will not post a picture of myself but I will keep you up to date. People who knows me especially my former co-workers know I am very vocal about my weight and it shows anyway. Please don’t think that I will lie about it so you can follow my blog.
So you might notice more veggies in my posting but I will continue having the food I love but in limited portions. So stick with me. I’ll be glad if you join me.
My way contradicts a lot of the diets out there but it has worked for me before. I am aware it will be harder this time but if I was able to quit smoking then I should be able to lose some weight.
Cheers to a healthy and prosperous 2019!
Try this Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe with Peanut Sauce to start the New Year.
How to Make Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe
Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe
- 4 ounces rice vermicelli
- 8 rice paper 8.5 inch diameter
- 16 large cooked shrimp peeled, deveined and cut in half
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons fresh Thai basil chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint leaves chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 ½ cups bean sprout
- 1 small carrot julienne (optional)
- ¾ cup red cabbage
- 8 thin slices of cucumber
Vietnamese Peanut Sauce
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- ½ freshly squeezed lime juice (1 ½ tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chile-garlic paste
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- Boil water in a small pot. Submerge rice vermicelli in boiling water until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Use the same boiling water dip peeled shrimps. Cook until it is no longer pink. Drain. Cut in half and deveined.
- Lightly grease with oil the area where you will assemble the spring rolls.
- Fill a big pan or a big round container with warm water.
- Dip one rice paper in warm water. Once it soften remove from water.
- Place soften rice paper in greased work area. Fix rice paper to lay flat.
- About 4 inches away from the edge of rice paper towards you lay one lettuce
- At the center of the rice paper lay 4 shrimp halves.
- On top of lettuce place carrots, red cabbage, cucumber, bean sprout, thai basil, mint leaves, cilantro and vermicelli noodles. Fold lettuce to enclose all the vegetable forming a roll. Note: It is easier to roll the vegetable in lettuce before rolling the spring roll.
- Fold sides of rice paper inwards. Then fold the edge of rice paper (closer to you) inwards and slowly and tightly roll until fully enclosed.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of ingredients.
- Serve with peanut sauce or your favorite dip.
Vietnamese Peanut Sauce
- Combine all the ingredient and blend well.
- Store in the fridge for 4 hours before serving.
Can I put leftover Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls in the fridge?
Yes, store in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Eat it cold.
Can I freeze the Vietnamese Spring Rolls?
No, it will be mushy when thawed.
Can I use other vegetable to make this spring rolls?
Yes, you could. You may also omit other veggies on my recipe. Some people do not like crunchy or raw carrots. Dip carrots in water to soften.
Do I have to use peanut sauce for this spring rolls?
No, you can use whatever sauce you desire.
Can I decorate the shrimp with a few veggies?
Yes, you could. See my pictures.
My rice paper doesn’t come out in one piece?
As soon as it is soft take it out of water. The more it stays in water it easily breaks.
Do I use warm water or boiling water to soften rice paper?
Is it OK not to cut shrimp in half?
If using small shrimp it is fine but using 1 large shrimp the spring roll will be thick and bulkier.
More Spring Rolls Recipe