Chicken Sandwich Spread Filipino style is boiled shredded chicken, chop cooked carrots, seasoned with spices and relish blended in creamy mayonnaise.
Most of the ingredients to make this chicken sandwich spread are staples in the kitchen. If you like, chopped celery can be added too.
This chicken sandwich spread can be use as base to make other delicious dishes like pasta, chimichangas, quesadilla or burritos, a spread for vegetables or crackers, or stuffing for mini quiche.
Busy moms will surely love this recipe and will save you so much time. Add a few ingredients to the chicken spread and you have another easy and quick delicious dish to serve at the table your whole family will love.
Growing up, it seems like every Filipino mom made this as lunchbox meals for their kids to take to school.
My mom made this so flavorful although she doesn’t eat chicken. She amazes me, how can she make something so good when she doesn’t even eat it.
My mom is the total package, great cook, great with sewing (made my shorts and pajamas), great with arts and crafts and great with managing finances.
I vividly remember helping my mom make an 8 feet Christmas tree when I was young. Each piece was sprayed with gold and burgundy and it was gorgeous. My mom is so creative that our Christmas tree was different every other year.
Recently, we were in the Philippines and had dinner at Mesa Restaurant. I asked my brother, hey does this remind you of something. The upholstery in the restaurant was similar to our house draperies made by mom when we were growing up. He remembered too!
My mom grew up in business, with no experience in cooking or sewing but when she got married, she used her time wisely and did what she loved to do while we were growing up.
Then, she run a successful catering business when we were in high school. We are so lucky to have my parents, they love us so much and made sure we have a secured future.
How to Elevate this Chicken Sandwich Spread Recipe
Here are some ways to elevate this Chicken Sandwich Spread recipe. If you can think of anything else, let me know under comments.
This recipe is versatile, add a few ingredients and you have one delicious meal.
Make extra servings of the chicken spread and prepare one of these easy and flavorful dish below.
1. Macaroni Salad – add a few ingredients and make the Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad, click the link to get the recipe.
On our last trip to the Philippine, I got the El Real Rainbow Party Pasta that I use for this salad.
2. Chimichangas, Quesedilla or Burritos – Get your favorite flour or corn tortillas, canned refried beans and jalapeno to make chimichangas.
Wrap all the ingredients with chicken spread and bake.
To make breakfast burritos, wrap sliced hard boiled egg or cooked scrambled egg, roasted potatoes and chicken spread.
For quesadilla, place chicken spread and cheese on one side of tortilla, fold and bake. All these can be freeze and pop in the oven when ready to eat.
3. Pair chicken sandwich spread with vegetables like celery or even crackers.
4. Mini Quiche – check out my Steak and Egg Mini Quiche to see how easy it is to make it.
Buy pre-made pie crust and add your favorite ingredients that will complement the spread like raisins, bell pepper and cheese.
These are just ideas, but you can make your own stuffing and incorporate it with the chicken sandwich spread. Bake.
There you go 4 more scrumptious dishes using the Chicken Sandwich Spread as base.
Filipino Chicken Sandwich Spread Recipe and Video
Filipino Chicken Sandwich Spread
- 1 pound chicken thighs, legs or breast
- 1 small onion quartered
- 10 pieces peppercorn
- 3 big shallots or 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot cooked and chopped into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish
- ½ to ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a pot, add 4 cups of water, quartered onion, peppercorn, 1 teaspoon salt, chicken and carrots. Boil chicken until tender. Remove carrots when soft but crisp. Don’t discard liquid, use it to make soup like tinolang manok or arroz caldo.
- Shred chicken, chop carrots and shallot or onions into tiny cubes.
- Combine and blend chicken, onion or shallot, carrots, sweet relish, salt and ground pepper.
- Stir-in mayonnaise. Taste, add more mayo, salt and ground pepper, if needed.
- Place in fridge for an hour to blend well.
- Toast bread. Add tomato or lettuce if you like and slathered with chicken sandwich spread. Enjoy!
This chicken sandwich is delicious and best to-go lunch. Thank you!
Glad you enjoyed it! It's yummy!