Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad is one of the favorite pasta dish you’ll find in Filipino potlucks or gatherings. It is a dish smothered with mayonnaise, condense milk, chicken or ham or both and veggies. You can also add celery and cheese. Some people do add hard boiled eggs. Filipinos are not big on salads but this is one salad Filipinos are fond of. Honestly why it is called a salad I don't know....
Growing up my mom made this salad occasionally. During Christmas holiday it was one of the dishes you will find in our fridge together with fruit salad which we can easily served when relatives and friends came to visit.
I make a big container of Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad and my mom would say again and again if I am feeding the whole army. This is so delicious after being chilled in the fridge. I like the macaroni salad the day after I made it. The elbow macaroni will soaked in all the flavors mixed with it. We usually have this for "merienda" a Filipino term for snack. Just this alone will satisfy you!
How to Make Filipino Macaroni Salad
Watch my video how to make Filipino Macaroni Salad. Make it today. Magluto na tayo!
Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 2 1/2 uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 pound chicken boneless and skinless - shredded
- ½ pound ham cubed
- 2 cups carrots peeled and diced
- 20 ounces pineapple tidbits (2 cups) drain juice
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish drain juice
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 medium sized onion peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water. Add onion and submerge chicken until it is cook. Once done cut chicken into small cubes and set aside.
- Cut ham into small cubes and set aside.
- Peel and cut the carrots into small cubes and set aside. I will blanche the carrots with the liquid used to cook the elbow macaroni. Watch my video to see how I do it.
- Boil 6 cups of water over high heat and add 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the elbow macaroni and cook it al dente. Before turning off the heat taste the elbow macaroni to check the firmness of the pasta. Don’t overcook it. Drain and set aside. Once fully drained transfer to a big container.
- Don’t discard the hot water used to cook the elbow macaroni. Use it to blanche the carrots. Submerge carrots in the hot water for 5 minutes. In another container add 3 to 4 cups of water with 10 to 15 ice cubes. After submerging carrots in the hot liquid submerge it in cold water with ice cubes for 3 minutes. This will keep the carrots crisp and it will retain it's vibrant orange color. Drain.
- Now get the container with the macaroni pasta. While it is still warm add the condensed milk and mix well.
- Add chicken and ham. Mix well.
- Add pineapple and sweet relish.
- Add onion and mix well.
- Add raisins.
- Add sweet relish.
- Once carrots are well drained add to the macaroni mixture. Mix well.
- Add mayonnaise and mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If it is easier to get rotisserie chicken or if you have a leftover, you can use it instead of boiling chicken.
- It is easier to prepare and dice everything before starting to mix the ingredients.
- If not a big fan of cheese it is optional. Serve it on the side.
- When I am lazy I just add raw carrots and it works well too.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes