Canned corn beef is a go to dish for Filipinos if they are crunch for time or plainly lazy. Filipino cooking usually involves fresh ingredients but there are a few canned goods that Filipinos like.
Spam, sardines, salmon, meatloaf and a few more. Canned corn beef, spam and sardines are the three popular canned goods that you might find in a Filipino kitchen or pantry.
Consuming canned goods in the Philippines is not necessarily for the underprivileged. Everyone loves it.
When I was growing up my mom stocked up some canned goods so when typhoon strikes we have some emergency food available.
Canned corn beef is a popular canned good sent or gifted by Balikbayans (Filipinos going on vacation to the Philippines) to friends and families.
Our love for canned corn beef and spam can be attributed when the Philippines was under American rule for so many years.
American soldiers consumed lots of these processed meat while away from their country and I believe this is how canned corn beef, spam and a few other canned goods were introduced in the Philippines.
We don’t eat corn beef out of the can. We elevate it’s taste by sautéing it with onion, garlic, tomato and fish sauce.
Potatoes can be added too. When adding cubed potatoes, fry it first then add it to the mixture so it doesn’t get soggy and mushy.
There are days that I crave for sautéed corn beef when everything else doesn’t sound good. I like pairing it with rice and fish sauce.
That is the problem I have with corn beef, I need rice with it. Lots of rice. So much carbs but it is yummy and delicious.
We try not to have this all the time or any canned goods due to its preservative and salt content. Once in a while it’s OK!
Why not indulge..........
If you love canned corned beef I bet you, you will love this Instant Pot Corned Beef with Cabbage more.
How to Cook Canned Corn Beef
If you’ve never tried corn beef in a can, try this recipe. Watch my video “How to Cook Canned Corn Beef”. Magluto na tayo!
How to Cook Canned Corn Beef
- 1 12 oz can corn beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 large potato peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat oil over medium heat. Fry potato until soft but firm and golden.
- Remove potato from pan and set aside.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Toss in tomato. Cook until soft. Smash tomato using kitchen utensil.
- Stir in corn beef. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add fish sauce. Mix well.
- Toss in potato and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!
- Canned corn beef is salty so be conservative in adding fish sauce or salt. Serve fish sauce on the side.
- For a crustier corn beef, cook it uncovered over medium high heat.
Try adding a fried egg on top too and cut to let the rich yolk soak through the yummy meat and potatoes! 🤗🤗🤗
I know what you mean, YUM that is delicious! Thank you