Thai Pineapple Fried Rice recipe is a super easy and quick fried rice dish with chunks of pineapple, spices, eggs, ham and shrimp. There are many variant when it comes to making fried rice. You can easily go Vegan with this meal – eliminate the egg, ham and shrimp. Still so delicious with the bite size pineapple, veggies and cashew.
When we go to a Thai restaurant even though we are ordering Pad Thai or other noodle dish, we also end up ordering a Thai Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice. They always make it so good. So yummy!
Fried rice are so good and easy to make. There are times when I make fried rice with just soy sauce, eggs and spam. It is always very satisfying. Such a comfort food. Pineapple season is here and they are so cheap and sweet. The other day, I got the pineapple for $.88 cents and it was juicy and sugar sweet. This is the best time to make Pineapple Fried Rice using fresh pineapple. Get a ripe pineapple for a tasty fried rice. The way to tell if it is ripe, the pineapple skin is golden yellow and not greenish. Usually what they sell are not fully ripe yet. Wait for a few days. It is very fragrant when ripe.
If you are like me, I like decorating my food. When I peel a pineapple, I remove the eyes in a spiral direction. Once you get the hang of it – it becomes easy. At the same time, not a lot of flesh goes to waste. Watch my video How to Peel and Cut a Pineapple to see how I do it.
Well anyway, back to this Pineapple Fried Rice recipe. The nice thing about making fried rice you can throw in any vegetable you have in your fridge. Check any veggies that will go bad anytime soon and throw it in your fried rice.
Also, one thing to remember when making fried rice, it is best to use a day old rice. With the added pineapple, the rice can get soggy. I use jasmine rice but any kind of white rice will do. Honestly, I prefer to use a non sticky rice when making Pineapple Fried Rice. I would rather use Calrose than Jasmine. But Jasmine is all I have.
If you love pineapple and fried rice. I bet you will enjoy this delectable Pineapple Fried Rice recipe.
How to Make Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe
Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 cups pineapple chopped into chunks
- 3 eggs chopped into thin strips
- 1 cup ham diced
- ½ pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 3 cups cooked rice a day old
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 thai chiles
- 1 medium sized red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium sized green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup cashews roasted
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Peel pineapple and cut into chunks. Set aside. Save the peel if you want to decorate your serving plate.
- In a pan, roast cashew over medium heat. Set aside.
- Add oil in pan and cooked the scrambled eggs. Cut into 1 inch strips and set aside.
- Cook ham for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Fry shrimp. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Fry pineapple for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add more oil if needed.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Cook garlic for 2 minutes.
- Toss in ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Stir in curry powder. Mix well
- Throw in the rice and stir it until grains are loose.
- Season with ground pepper, salt, garlic powder and chili powder.
- Toss in cooked ham, shrimp, egg and pineapple. Stir until well blended.
- Throw in the green onions, red and green bell pepper and Thai chili peppers, if desired. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Lastly, toss in cashew. Mix well.
- Serve hot.
- Save the pineapple peel and decorate the serving plate.
- Save some green onions for garnish.
- Thai chili peppers are too hot and spicy. Add it as a whole or chop it into pieces wearing gloves. Remember I warned you!
- Use a ripe pineapple to enjoy this dish.