Shrimp with Quail Eggs Recipe is a simple, delicious dish with vegetables in creamy buttery sauce. This dish was one of my mom’s best seller and requested dish when she had her catering business.
When we were growing up and when my mom served this at home she knew better to add tons of quail eggs and extra sauce. Even though we loved shrimp, the quail eggs and sauce were gone once me and my brother were at the table. We poured (not drizzled) the sauce over rice like it was soup with lots of quail eggs. My mom was smart to hide some of the eggs to make us eat vegetables. She’ll give us some veggies and once we finished it, we got more eggs as a reward.
To this day, we both love this shrimp with quail eggs recipe. Our grandmother was Kapampangan and she made a similar dish called Sipo eggs. In fact, every time we went to Baguio City on vacation, on our way home we always dropped by at our relatives in Pampanga and this dish was always served. They knew it was a family favorite.
My mom’s shrimp with quail eggs recipe is slightly different from their Sipo eggs recipe but they are both decadent.
When I moved to the States, this was one of the recipes I requested my mom to send me. To my surprise, it was so easy to make. It was a hit with my relatives and friends here in the States. Many of my friends have asked for the recipe. I was so amazed and excited when my aunt and uncle mentioned that I made it just like my mom. That was a huge compliment since my mom is a great cook.
My mom has dementia and when I make this, she is so delighted but doesn’t remember that she used to make it and it is her recipe. My poor mom doesn’t remember making it. At least I get to cook it for her now.
One of my favorite ingredient is the baby corn. To me, this dish is not complete without the baby corn and cashew nuts.
I love bringing this on potluck dinners. I’m not slaving myself all day in the kitchen plus it is a wonderful feeling when I get compliments. So if you are looking for a special dish that you can easily make in less than an hour for any gathering, try this one and you will not be disappointed.
How to Cook Shrimp with Quail Eggs Recipe
Shrimp with Quail Eggs Recipe
- 1 cup potatoes sliced diagonally
- 1 cup carrots sliced diagonally
- ½ cup green bell pepper seeded and cut
- ½ cup red bell pepper seeded and cut
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small sized onion minced
- 13 pieces large shrimps shelled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cup shrimp stock
- ¾ can baby corn
- 10 pieces quail eggs hard boiled
- ½ cup toasted cashews
- 3/4 cup sweet green peas
- 1 cup snow peas (remove top)
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a pan, add oil over medium heat.
- Fry potatoes and carrots until golden light brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Saute red and green bell peppers for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove oil from pan. On the same pan, add butter.
- Melt butter over low to medium heat.
- Saute onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until it turns pink.
- Pour shrimp broth. Bring to a boil.
- Put the baby corn and quail eggs. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir-in the carrots and potatoes for a minute.
- Add the green peas and cashews and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the evaporated milk and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir-in the snow peas, green and red bell peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn of the heat.
- Serve hot. Enjoy and make sure you have a lot of rice.
- Serve fish sauce on the side.
- As soon as you add the snow peas, season with salt and pepper and turn off heat. Don’t over cook the snow peas. It is good crisp.
- Fry the potatoes, carrots, green and red pepper so it doesn’t get mushy or soggy. It stays crisp when fried instead of simmering in the sauce.
- You can use quail eggs in a can if fresh quail eggs are not available in your area.