Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe is a tangy and savory sauce so easy to make that complements many dishes. It goes well with pork, chicken, fish and shrimp. With a few basic ingredients you can make this delicious homemade sweet and sour sauce recipe. All these ingredients are probably in your kitchen so you can easily whip up this sauce in no time.
There are 2 ways to make the sauce. For a rough textured sauce sauté the onion, ginger, garlic and red bell pepper. Or if you prefer a silky smooth consistency mix and liquefy all the ingredients (except the cornstarch) in a blender. Pour in a sauce pan, bring it to a boil and add the cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken the sauce.
I use this sauce for lumpia shanghai (pork and shrimp egg roll), light breaded shrimp, camaron rebosado, pinsec, fish and many more.
My other sweet and sour sauce recipe is made of pineapple juice and it is delicious too.
How to Make Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
Are you ready to make this homemade sweet and sour sauce?
Watch my video and make it today. Magluto na tayo!
Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Other sweet and sour ingredients
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- thumb size ginger peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Prepare the Ketchup mixture.
- In a bowl, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and ketchup.
- Mix well and set aside.
Prepare the cornstarch mixture.
- In a small container dilute cornstarch in water.
- Stir until smooth and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until golden.
- Add red bell pepper and cook until soft.
- Pour ketchup mixture and add garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat. Slowly pour the cornstarch mixture while stirring constantly to prevent sauce from clumping up.
- Continue stirring until well blended.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes and turn off heat.
- When sweet and sour sauce cools down it will get thick. If you want a runny sauce don’t put too much cornstarch. Stir constantly while slowly pouring the cornstarch mixture so it doesn’t clump up.
- Keep stirring until well blended.
- Sauce is good for about 4 days in the fridge.