Summer is almost over and my two basil plants are still thriving. I made Cheese Tortellini with Basil Cream Sauce and it was delicious. Now, one of my plant has barely any leaves on it. It is outside so hopefully it will recover before it gets cold.
Whenever I have basil and craving for something pasta, this is my go to cheese tortellini recipe. It is quick, easy and in 30 minutes, we were devouring this rich decadent tortellini. That’s what I love about this dish, it is simple yet flavorful. The sauce is creamy not overly rich and full of deliciousness. In my pictures, you’ll noticed I did not add any parmesan cheese. Even without it – it is so good. I always improvise the recipe to my taste or liking.
Pair this cheese tortellini with bruschetta and it is good. The veggies on the bruschetta complemented this tortellini dish so well. When making this dish, I suggest that you serve the parmesan cheese on the side. Also, you can add cherry tomatoes to fend off the richness of this dish.
If you have a huge family and a member of either Costco or Sam’s, they both carry cheese tortellini and it's cheap. You get 2 packages at a reasonable price. I was at Sprouts and they sell over grown basil plants. I bought the plant as it is cheaper than the packaged ones. Who knows, it might thrive the following year and I have basil whenever I need it. Just a suggestion.
More pasta dish you might like to try: Garlic Noodle, Shrimp Linguine with Spinach and Mussel, Filipino Spaghetti, Pastitsio Greek Pasta, Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad and Rotini with Beef and Spinach.
How to Make Cheese Tortellini with Basil Cream Sauce
Video coming soon.
Try this recipe and you will like!
Cheese Tortellini with Basil Cream Sauce
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 ¼ cups cream
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- 5 fresh basil leaves chopped for garnish
- 18 ounces cheese-filled tortellini cooked and drained
- ½ cup grated parmesan if desired
- salt to taste
- In a medium sauce pan add butter over medium heat.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Stir-in flour for a minute.
- Add wine and cook for another minute.
- Slowly add cream, mixing until smooth.
- Add basil and mix well.
- Pour this mixture over hot cooked tortellini.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese if desired or serve on the side.
- Servings 4 to 6. Enjoy!