Filipino Spaghetti recipe is characterized by its sweet scrumptious sauce. Spaghetti is the most consumed pasta in the Philippines.
One of Jolibee’s popular dish in their menu is the sweet and savory Filipino Spaghetti.
Filipino Style Spaghetti is made with only a few ingredients but two essential ingredients are banana sauce and red hotdog.
In the Philippines, red hotdog is easily accessible but if you live in a different country, regular hotdog will do. I like using smoked polish or kielbasa instead of hotdog.
When I was in grade school, I always looked forward to my classmates birthdays.
It became a norm when someone was celebrating their birthday, a snack was served during class. Usually, my classmates mom and a helper were there passing out a plate of spaghetti, ice cream and cake.
You’ll see us giggling, appreciative and excited for the afternoon treats and of course, no class.
If I remember it correctly, once or maybe twice, my mom brought treats for the whole class on my birthday and I was totally elated.
This was one of the happy memories while in grade school. Birthdays, spaghetti, ice cream and cake!
Filipino spaghetti is one of my favorite pasta dish even as a child.
When I was in high school, I got hooked with the spaghetti served in the food court of Rustan’s Dept. Store in Makati. It was one of my favorite restaurant to go to.
Spaghetti is one of my comfort food and missed when I moved to the US. I tried to recreate the Filipino Style Spaghetti many times.
Many tries along the way and finally I got the taste I was looking for.
I make two versions of spaghetti sauce and both are delicious. The Filipino version and the Mediterranean version with subtle sweetness. Both are a hit with family and friends.
During the holidays, Spaghetti is a great potluck to bring to any gatherings. A simple and easy to make pasta dish that will be gone before you know it. It’s that good. Enjoy!
How to Make Filipino Spaghetti Recipe
Filipino Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 pound spaghetti noodles cooked and drain
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ pound ground beef or pork
- 8 hot dog Nathan’s cut into diagonally
- 1 ½ cup banana ketchup
- 1 can 24 oz Hunt’s Four Cheese Pasta Sauce or Regular Tomato Sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to packaging instructions and drain.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Toss-in garlic. Cook until golden.
- Add ground beef. Cook until pale.
- Stir-in hotdog. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce. Cook for 15 minites.
- Add banana sauce. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add black pepper, salt and sugar.
- Let it simmer until sauce is thick.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti.
- Garnish spaghetti with cheese or serve it on the side. Enjoy!