Filipino Spaghetti recipe is characterized by its sweet scrumptious sauce. Spaghetti is the most consumed pasta in the Philippines. One of Jolibee’s popular dish in their menu is the sweet and savory Filipino Spaghetti.
Filipino Style Spaghetti is made with only a few ingredients but two essential ingredients are banana sauce and red hotdog. In the Philippines, red hotdog is easily accessible but if you live in a different country regular hotdog will do. I like using smoked polish or kielbasa instead of hotdog.
When I was in grade school I always looked forward to my classmates birthdays. It became a norm when someone was celebrating their birthday their mom and a helper will be in our classroom passing out a plateful of spaghetti, ice cream and cake. You’ll see us giggling so excited for the afternoon treats and no class. Once or maybe twice my mom brought treats for the whole class on my birthday and I was totally elated.
This was one of the happy memories while in grade school. Birthdays, spaghetti, ice cream and cake!
Filipino spaghetti is one of my favorite pasta while growing up.
When I was in high school I got hooked in the spaghetti served one floor below Rustan’s Dept. Store in Makati. That was one of my favorite restaurant to go to. I’m a big spaghetti fan. When I moved to the US I tried to recreate that Filipino Style Spaghetti. Many tries along the way and I finally got the taste I was looking for..
I make two versions of spaghetti that are both delicious. Filipino and the other version is more Mediterranean with a twist of sweetness to the sauce. Both are a hit with family and friends.
During the holidays, Spaghetti would be a great potluck. A simple and easy to make pasta that will be gone before you know it. It’s that good. Enjoy!
How to Make Filipino Spaghetti Recipe
Video coming soon.
Filipino Spaghetti Recipe
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ pound ground beef or pork
- 8 hot dogs Nathan’s cut into diagonally
- 1 ½ cup banana ketchup
- 1 can 24 oz Hunt’s Four Cheese Pasta Sauce or Regular Tomato Sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Toss-in garlic. Cook until golden.
- Add ground beef. Cook until pale.
- Stir-in hotdog. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce. Cook for 15 minites.
- Add banana sauce. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add black pepper, salt and sugar.
- Let it simmer until sauce is thick.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti.
- Garnish spaghetti with cheese or serve it on the side. Enjoy!
More Pasta Recipes