If your New Year’s Resolution is to eat healthy. Healthy it is! Make cucumber, tomato, avocado, red onion, zucchini with chia seeds in a sandwich. It sounds very healthy and boring. No, it’s not boring – it’s actually good.
With a few ingredients, you can whip up a delicious and healthy vegetable sandwich. If you have avocado and all or some of these veggies make this Cucumber Tomato Avocado sandwich today.
I was so surprise my Mom who doesn’t like vegetables ate a whole piece of bread with all these veggie toppings. She uttered, it is delicious. I am so confused. Is it because of her dementia that she forgot she doesn’t like vegetable or was it really good?
Boy oh boy, my mom really confuses me at times. That was really a big surprise. I have a picture of her devouring this sandwich but I am too private to post it. It would be a great thing if I can have my mom eat vegetables daily. It will be easier for me to lose weight.
I love rice but when I was working I only had it during the weekend or every other weekend. Now that my mom is staying with me it is hard not to have rice. Rice is a staple food for Filipinos and my mom seems to have it with every meal. Now that I am trying to lose weight I eat more vegetables and about 2 to 3 tablespoons of white rice. I can’t deprive myself of food I love. Again, I don’t follow any diet but I limit my portions.
I haven’t started my exercise routine yet. I am still trying to psych myself to eat healthy then I will start doing cardio and weights. Again, when I say eat healthy I don’t mean not having the food I love. I will limit my portions or not have it all the time. Honestly, BnJ ice cream is on sale and I have 10 pints in my freezer. Another fave I have on hand when trying to lose weight is chocolate. Yes, chocolate! Call me crazy… When I was going to college, I only ate ice cream or bagel for dinner and I lost weight. Of course, now it’s different.
So, if one of your New Year’s resolution is to eat healthy and lose weight try this vegetable sandwich. I have not attach a video for this post since this sandwich is so simple and easy to make.
This sandwich is colorful and appetizing. You will hear me say repeatedly that I am attracted to colorful things.
I got the chia seeds at Sprouts. I’m sure they also have it at Wholefoods, Trader Joe's or your local grocer. If not get it at Amazon.
What are Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds are tiny edible seeds that are oval in shape and gray with black and white spots. They are sprinkled or ground up like black pepper on top of other food.
Check out my images and you will see it sprinkled all over the sandwich.
Benefits of Chia Seed?
Per Healthline.com Chia Seeds have 11 proven health benefits. For more detailed explanation please visit their site.
- Chia seeds are loaded with nutrients with very low calories.
- They are high in antioxidants to help fight diseases like cancer.
- Almost all the carbs in chia seeds are fiber which has beneficial effects on health.
- They are high in quality protein that helps reduce appetite or cravings.
- It might help aid with weight loss due to high fiber and protein content.
- Chia seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids but not similar to the DHA found in fish.
- It might help lower the risk of heart disease.
- These seeds are high in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and protein that are essential for bone health.
- It may help in the rise of blood sugar.
- It can help reduce chronic inflammation.
- Seeds are easy to add to one’s diet.
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Red Onion Zucchini with Chia Seeds Sandwich Recipe
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Red Onion Zucchini with Chia Seeds Sandwich
- 2 pieces of bread toasted
- 1 small avocado peeled and sliced
- 12 thinly sliced cucumber
- 12 thinly sliced yellow zucchini
- 10 cherry tomato cut in half
- 2 tablespoons red onion julienned
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- pepper to taste optional
- 1 small lime or lemon squeezed
- vinaigrette optional
- Place sliced avocado in squeezed lime or lemon juice while preparing all ingredients.
- Toast two pieces of bread. Any type of bread you like.
- Lay sliced avocado on each bread.
- Add a row of cucumber.
- Add cherry tomatoes in a row.
- Lay slices of yellow zucchini next to tomatoes.
- Spread chia seeds.
- If desired whisk a few drops of vinaigrette but not a lot. Enjoy!
- To slice avocado cut it in half. Peel manually with your fingers and slice or scoop avocado with a spoon.
- For a creamier avocado I prepare it soft but not overly ripe.
Leave a Comment