Veggie French Bread Pizza is easy, quick and versatile topped with pizza sauce, cheese and vegetables.
For a quick meal, this pizza is delicious, light, healthy, flavorful, crispy and full of cheesy goodness. It is flavored with chunky tomato, garlic and onion sauce.
When craving strikes, try this homemade vegetable pizza that bakes in 20 to 25 minutes and ready in no time.
This is a great way to use up vegetables in your fridge plus you can top it with other types of veggies not commonly used in traditional pizza.
I love zucchini and black olives and they are both delicious with pizza. A simple sauce smothered with black olives is a delight.
Veggie pizza is also a great way to introduce your kids to different types of vegetables. Add some meat to entice them to eat it but I suggest to start with all veggies first and see how they like it.
I usually make one with all veggies and the other half with tons of veggies and some meat.
I have added slices of lemon pepper chicken to one of the French bread halve.
Ingredients for Quick and Easy Veggie French Bread Pizza
Some days, we like something easy that we can quickly put together and pop in the oven. You can’t go wrong with Veggie French Bread Pizza and it is quite healthy too for a pizza.
The great thing about homemade pizza, you can use whatever toppings and sauce you like.
French Bread - Use a store-bought French Bread to save you a lot of time. You can skip making the pizza dough instead use French Bread as your crust.
If you like to make the dough from scratch, check out my pizza dough recipe.
Make sure the French bread crust is soft and not crispy since it will be baked for about 20 to 25 minutes.
You’ll be surprise how crispy and tasty this pizza is.
Pizza Sauce – Use your favorite homemade pizza sauce recipe otherwise an easier option is a store-bought pizza sauce or marinara sauce.
I opted to use "Ragu chunky tomato, garlic and onion pasta sauce”. There are different brands and flavors you can choose from.
Cheese – I used shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded parmesan cheese. You can also use fresh mozzarella if you already have that.
Vegetables – I added zuchini, cherry tomato, red bell pepper and red onion. This pizza is versatile and you can use any toppings of your choice. Zucchini is a staple in my pizza.
Use your favorite vegetables. A great time to clean your fridge.
Mushrooms – I love my pizza with mushroom. I used button mushroom but any type will do.
(1) Other vegetables like artichoke, spinach, carrots, cucumber and more.
(2) Herbs like basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, chives, green onions and more.
(3) Fruits like olives, strawberry, pineapple, mango, mandarin orange, apple, peaches and more.
(4) Meat like pepperoni, sausage, rotisserie or seasoned chicken or turkey, bacon and more.
(5) Cheese – I also love Feta cheese in my pizza. Pepper Jack, provolone, ricotta, goat cheese, gouda, gruyere, fontina are some to try on your pizza. It is endless.
(6) Sauce – any variation of marinara or white sauce. Herb sauce like pesto is tasty.
(7) Nuts has made it’s way into pizza too. Pine nuts, shaved almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios and more. It adds texture, crunch and a healthy choice for topping.
With so many choices in ingredients, it is the reason why homemade pizza is one of my go-to meal. It is quick, easy, versatile with endless toppings of your choice.
I have an herb garden and that alone adds so much flavor to a simple pizza.
How to Make Veggie French Bread Pizza
(1) Slice the bread lengthwise in half and place in a baking sheet. Make sure it is sliced in half with the same thickness so they baked evenly and does not tilt on one side.
(2) Lightly spread the pizza sauce throughout the bread. Don’t use too much sauce or else you’ll end up with soggy bread crust.
(3) Spread half of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
(4) Add the layers of vegetables. Cut the veggies thinly and add the mushroom too.
(5) Spread the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
(6) Add some freshly ground black pepper. You can sprinkle some salt to, if you like. I don’t.
(7) Pre-heat oven at 450 degrees F and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. I like mine super crispy about 25 to 30 minutes baking time.
If you bake for over 20 minutes, be sure to keep an eye on it not to burn.
(9) Take it out of the oven and let it sit for about 2 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
Note: You can customize the flavor of store-bought pizza sauce or marinara sauce.
(1) After spreading the sauce, you can sprinkle about ¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar to cut down the acidity from the tomato sauce. This is optional.
(2) You can also add more seasoning after adding the sauce. Some choices are garlic powder, Italian seasoning, fresh or dried herbs. Pesto sauce is delicious. This is optional too.
How to Warm Leftovers?
I doubt you’ll have leftovers, if you do bake at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes. I don’t suggest using the microwave – it will get soggy.
Veggie French Bread Pizza
- 1 French bread slice lengthwise with the same thickness
- ½ cup to 1 cup chunky tomato, garlic, onion sauce (use your favorite pizza sauce or marinara sauce)
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 small zucchini thinly sliced
- ½ cup red onion julienne
- ½ cup red bell pepper julienne
- ¾ cup mushroom sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice the French bread lengthwise in half with the same thickness so they bake evenly and doesn't tilt on one side. Place in a baking sheet.
- Lightly and evenly spread pizza sauce on both bread halves. Note: Too much pizza sauce or marinara can get bread soggy.
- Spread ½ of mozzarella and parmesan cheese and reserve ½ as the last layer.
- Top French bread pizza with zucchini, cherry tomato, red bell pepper, red onion and mushroom. Note: You can skip any of these veggies if you don’t like it or replace it with something else.
- Bake pizza on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden and crispy. Note: After 20 minutes, make sure to keep an eye on it.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for a couple of minutes before slicing. Serve while warm and crispy. Enjoy!
- Spread remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Note: Add more if you like.
- Use store-bought soft French bread.
- Use your favorite homemade pizza sauce or store-bought pizza or marinara sauce. I used Ragu chunky tomato, garlic, onion sauce.
- You can customize the flavor of store-bought pizza sauce or marinara sauce. (a) After spreading the sauce, you can sprinkle about ¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar to cut down the acidity from the tomato sauce. (b) You can also add more seasoning after adding the sauce. Some choices are garlic powder, Italian seasoning, fresh or dried herbs. Pesto sauce is delicious.
- You can also use fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Wrap leftover pizza in foil and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Warm leftover at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- I have not tried freezing veggie pizza since I like the taste of fresh veggies.