Have you tried making Monte Cristo Sandwich in Tortilla Wrap?
Craving for Monte Cristo Sandwich for breakfast, an easier way to make it is using tortilla wrap. Prepare it the night before, wrap ham, turkey slices, cheese and spread mayo and mustard in tortilla then refrigerate. In the morning, make and top it with over easy egg or dip it in egg with milk then fry, grill or broil in the oven.
It is a quick and easy breakfast for busy mornings that you can take to work and your kids can take to school. This sandwich is light but will fill you up.
In restaurants, it is served all day long but I usually have it as a breakfast sandwich. When I was working, it was common for me to order this sandwich as my 1st meal of the day. It fills me up and when I get busy I tend to skip lunch without feeling hungry.
I was watching Dr. Oz sometime ago and this was featured and I remember to make it with tortilla. Every time I get tortilla, I end up with some leftover and this is a great way to use it up instead of going to waste.
What is Monte Cristo Sandwich
Monte Cristo Sandwich is a variation of the French toasted ham and cheese sandwich dipped in egg then fried or grilled. In the US, it has evolved into different variants.
It is also common to serve it with slices of turkey. You are not limited to ham and turkey, it is versatile that I have used roasted or rotisserie chicken, lemon pepper chicken or whatever you desire.
How to make this sandwich with tortilla wrap
This sandwich is very easy and simple. If you have leftover ham or turkey from the holidays, you can use that.
Another option is to get it from the deli. You can request shaved or however thick you like it sliced. I prefer it shaved.
The ham and turkey can be lightly fried in pan before making the sandwich, if desired.
If you are not doing the egg or egg-dip and would like to skip frying, warm the tortilla in the microwave for 7 to 8 seconds. You can wrap it in a damp paper towel if warming longer.
Using a tortilla wrap is a clever idea especially with kids. They can hold it and eat with meat enclosed in the tortilla. No mess and nothing is wasted.
Anyway, cut the tortilla with a pizza cutter or knife upward and halfway toward the center.
Spread the mayonnaise and dijon mustard at the lower end of tortilla. Basically, the tortilla will have 4 areas. The lower end with the spread and the upper end filled with the meat and cheese.
I prefer to put the meat and cheese on top so when folded it is enclosed in the tortilla with the mayo and mustard acting as a sealer.
I opted dipping in lightly beaten egg instead I toasted the Crispy Monte Cristo Sandwich in Tortilla Wrap on a pan and topped it with over easy egg.
If you like it dipped in egg, lightly beat an egg with milk and dip both sides of Monte Cristo and fry in butter over medium-low heat. Once the outside is crusty, remove from heat.
Monte Cristo Sandwich in Tortilla Wrap
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ pound shaved ham
- ¼ pound shaved turkey
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 10 inch tortilla wrap
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons oil for frying eggs
- This step is optional. You can lightly fry the ham and turkey with very little oil before making the wrap. I did.
- Place tortilla on a cutting board and cut halfway up to the center using a pizza cutter, knife or scissors.
- There will be 4 areas to add the ingredients. Spread the mayonnaise on the left section and Dijon mustard on the right section at the lower part of tortilla. Note: It doesn’t really matter which area you place the ingredients but I find it more secured to have the meat and cheese on the upper portion of tortilla and the mayo and mustard at the lower portion. The spread seals the wrap together.
- Add ½ of the shredded cheese and ham on the left upper section and the remaining cheese and turkey on the right side.
- Fold the lower left section (mayonnaise side) upward toward the ham then fold again toward the turkey then fold toward the Dijon mustard. Note: If you notice the deli meat is secured or enclosed within the wrap.
- On the same frying pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Fry or toast both sides of tortilla wrap until crusty then transfer to a serving plate.
- On the same pan, add oil and make 2 over easy eggs and add a pinch of salt.
- Top Monte Cristo with over easy eggs.
- Serve while hot. Enjoy!
- Over easy egg is optional or if you like you can make fried eggs.
- Monte Cristo is versatile, you can use all ham or substitute turkey with leftover rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken from the deli.
- If you like the traditional egg-dipped sandwich, after making the tortilla wrap, beat 1 egg with 1 teaspoon milk and dip both sides of wrap. Fry for about 2 minutes each side or until crusty.
- I prefer to use shaved ham or turkey but you can always request for a thicker slice.
- It is best to have it while hot otherwise warm in the microwave for about 20 seconds or so.
Leave a Comment