Easy Moist Chocolate Cake recipe that is not too sweet. This chocolate cake paired with a not too sweet Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is so delicious. I went to you tube and this chocolate cake popped up. With many great comments, I got intrigued and bookmarked the video. Thinking I would make it one of these days.
Once in a while I like a chocolate cake but prefer brownie or yellow cake instead. I usually buy just a piece of cake to satisfy my craving.
A whole piece of cake in my fridge is not a good thing. As much as possible, I try to avoid making something sweet. After a month and half, I saw it again in you tube staring at me!
It stirred my curiosity again. Checked the ingredients and it doesn’t have much to begin with. My pantry has most of the ingredients needed.
Sugar content scared me a bit but I still wanted to make it. When I’m excited about something I want do it right away.
Ran out at 11 pm to get buttermilk, Ghirardelli and Hersey’s Special Dark Cocoa so I can start early the following day.
This cake was so easy to make. It was done in no time. Took me forever videoing and taking pictures. Imagine taking pictures of every step and checking it in my computer if I got decent pictures. It was time consuming.
I love photography but not food photography since I take too many pictures and at the same time, I am starving and would love to eat what I made ASAP.
Well anyway, like everybody else there’s a reason to rave about this cake. Yes, this is an amazing chocolate cake recipe.
This cake is easy, moist, decadent, soft, chocolaty smothered with cocoa cream cheese frosting that melts in your mouth. It is a delicious, elegant and tall cake.
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
This simple chocolate cake uses basic ingredients that you might already have.
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
How to Make this Easy Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
What is the recipe for the Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting?
Here's the recipe for the Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
What cocoa did I use?
For the frosting I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa.
Do I need to sift the flour?
Yes, to prevent clumps and it adds lightness thus my Kitchen Aid doesn’t have to work too hard.
Did I sift the cocoa?
I did but you don’t have to. The cocoa is so fine, but if you notice it has some lumps then it is best to sift it.
Is 7 to 8 cups of powdered sugar too much?
The first time I checked the ingredients, I got scared with the sugar content. Three cups for the cake and 7 to 8 cups for the frosting.
No it’s not very sweet as I expected due to dark cocoa. Next time though I will see if I can get away with 6 cups powdered sugar.
Did I have too much frosting?
No. This cake is tall with three layers. Frosting was added in between layers and all around the cake. I had enough to decorate the top of the cake.
Can you cut the recipe in half?
When I make this cake again, I will cut the recipe in half for both cake and frosting. I will make a 2 layer cake or cupcakes.
What piping tip did I use to decorate the top of the chocolate cake?
Do I need to refrigerate the frosting?
No, I did not refrigerate the frosting for the cake but I refrigerated the frosting for 10 minutes before piping the stars on top of the cake. It is easier to pipe frosting that is not too soft.
Can you eat the cake right away?
Yes, but I suggest to refrigerate for an hour so frosting is firmer.
Easy Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe - Not Too Sweet
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1½ cups warm water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Coat pans with butter and a dusting of flour
Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sift flour and cocoa powder.
- Using a stand mixer place all dry ingredients in the bowl. Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt at low speed using the wisk wire.
- Once combined add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat mixture on medium speed for about 3 to 4 minutes until smooth.
- Coat three 9 inch pan with butter and a dusting of flour so batter doesn’t stick. This is important so you can easily pop out the cake once done baking.
- Measure 3 cups of batter per pan. If there’s a leftover distribute among the 3 pans. My measurement was 3 1/8 cups per pan.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees and bake cake between 30 to 35 minutes. To check if cake is done a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean then it is ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Place cake pans on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Use a spatula to loosen up cake from the pan. Invert pan with the rack. Let cake sit on the rack to cool completely.
- Use your favorite frosting. Enjoy!
Will I make this Easy Moist Chocolate Cake recipe again?
Definitely, it is easy, moist, chocolaty and lusciously delicious. Best chocolate cake recipe ever.
Thanks to Rachel for sharing this recipe.
Updated on February 1, 2020