Melon Ball Drink is a healthy, refreshing drink made with golden kiss melon (cantaloupe), golden honeydew, watermelon and mint. It is a drink and a dessert at the same time with cubes and balls of melon delight.
This Melon Ball Drink recipe is so simple, easy to make and thirst quenching. These melons are so sweet, no sugar, honey or agave is needed.
Summer is the best time to make Melon Ball Drink as you’ll find different varieties of juicy, sweet melons in the supermarket. Get it while in season and at its peak.
These melons are delicious in itself but blending it with mint makes a more refreshing drink. It creates a perfect balance of sweetness with subtle minty flavor.
What melon to use
The best melons are firm but not too hard nor too soft. Don’t get an overripe one. If not ripe yet, leave it in room temperature and check daily.
Once cut, place in the fridge to slow down from ripening.
All these melons are highly nutritious with many health benefits. As we know, adding fruits to our diet is a great way to promote overall health.
CANTALOUPE – My favorite is the Golden Kiss Melon also known as Sugar Kiss Melon. It is hybrid of the French Charentais melon and the North American cantaloupe. If this is not available, you can use any variety.
This delicious melon is firm, juicy and known to be one of the sweetest melon. It is sweeter than a regular cantaloupe. The exterior has a netted rind with green lining and soft, juicy bright orange flesh.
This full-flavored melon is a perfect blend for this melon drink.
Note: When pressed gently, it should give a bit. Usually when it is ripe, you can smell the sweet aroma coming from the fruit.
HONEYDEW – My favorite is the Golden Honeydew but you can use other variety.
It has a bright golden skin that is firm, thin and smooth when ripe. When you cut this melon, its sweet aroma fills the air. Its velvety flesh is slightly pale green to almost white that is juicy, succulent and very sweet.
Blending together the Golden Kiss Melon and the Golden Honeydew with a twist of mint makes a perfect summer drink.
Note: Similar to cantaloupe, honeydew has a sweet fragrant when ripe, so smell it. Don’t get if soft and overripe.
MINI WATERMELON – You can use the bigger variety as well. For 2 people, the size of the mini watermelon is perfect.
Seedless mini watermelons are crisp, sweet and juicy with deep red to pink flesh. Cold watermelon is delicious in itself or make it into a drink mixed with other sweet melons.
Watermelon juice pairs well with the golden kiss melon and golden honeydew. They make a perfect drink or salad.
Note: My parents tap the watermelon to see if it is ripe. It took me forever to master this technique. People say to pick the one with a hollow sound. We usually pick the one with a bouncy sound and have it sit for a day or two in room temperature.
Why add mint to drink
MINT – Fresh mint is a perfect addition to this melon ball drink. It adds a cool aftertaste to any drink, juice or salad. It is sweet and aromatic and used in many dishes as well.
Blending fresh mint leaves with these melons is so refreshing. It doesn’t alter the taste of these delicious, sweet melons instead it makes the melons flavor pop up.
Tips to make this drink
Pick melons that firm with no bruise or cracks. Not too hard nor too soft.
Cut them in half. Reserve the other half of each melon to be juiced.
Don’t discard the seeds and pulp of cantaloupe and honeydew. Remove it from the fruit, place them both in a strainer with bowl underneath to catch the juices. Use a spoon and press it against the strainer to extract as much juice. Don’t let this juicy goodness go to waste. There’s so much flavor in it.
Take the halves of each melon and use a melon baller or cut it with a knife. I like the texture of combining round and cube melons in my drink.
If you use a melon baller, scrape out the remaining flesh from the cantaloupe and honeydew and place it in the blender. Cut the reserved melons and place it in the blender as well except for the watermelon.
Blend it with mint leaves and transfer to a pitcher and chill.
I prefer to juice the cantaloupe and honeydew together and the watermelon on its own.
Do the same with the watermelon and chill.
You can use any glass you have or any small dessert bowls. If you like, you can also rim the glass with sugar or salt. I only do it for presentation. This juice is so sweet and sugar nor salt is not necessary.
If you like to rim the glass, take a cube of watermelon and run it around the edge of the glass then dip it in a bowl of sugar or salt.
People have a choice of cantaloupe/honeydew or watermelon juice. Pour juice, add cubed and melon balls and garnish with mint leaves.
The other way to do it, divide the fruits into half and place into 2 bowls. Then pour the cantaloupe/honeydew in one then the watermelon on the other bowl. Garnish with mint leaves. Make sure to chill this drink before serving.
Note: I also chilled the glasses in the freezer before making the drink, if you like.
Leftover is good up to 2 days in a covered container in the fridge. You can also cover the glasses with saran wrap.
Melon Ball Drink
- 1 Golden Kiss Melon or cantaloupe
- 1 Golden Honeydew
- 1 Mini Watermelon
- 24 mint leaves
- mint leaves for garnish
- Wash and dry melon before slicing.
- Cut all melon in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp of Golden Kiss Melon (cantaloupe) and Honeydew and place on a strainer with a bowl underneath to catch all the juice. Press the pulp and seeds with a spoon or spatula to extract as much juice. Discard and set aside the juice.
- Use half of each melon to make melon balls and cubes. Reserve the other half of each melon for drink.
- Make a few melon balls and cubes from each melon. Set aside in the fridge. Scrape the remaining flesh from the cantaloupe and honeydew and place in the blender.
- Remove the flesh from the reserved cantaloupe and honeydew and add in the blender too with 12 mint leaves. Use the smoothie program or blend. Transfer to a pitcher or any container and place in the fridge. Do the same with watermelon.
- 2 ways to serve, whichever is easier for you.
- Divide the melons balls and cubes into 2 bowls. Pour cantaloupe and honeydew juice in one bowl and watermelon juice in the other bowl then garnish with mint leaves.
- Or serve in glass or a small dessert bowl. Pour cantaloupe/honeydew juice and add some melon balls and cubes, garnish with mint leaves. Do the same with watermelon.
- I suggest to get the Golden Kiss Melon and the Golden Honeydew. They blend so well together, very tasty.
- If you don't have a melon baller, use a knife to cut it instead.
- You can add 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of lime juice to blended drink. You can also top it with crumbled feta cheese. These are optional. Drink is so delicious with just melon and mint.
- Make this ahead of time so juices meld together. It is best chilled before serving. If you are serving it for dinner, make it at lunch time and place in the fridge.
- You can rim the glass with sugar or salt, if desired. I only do it for presentation. This drink is so sweet that it doesn’t need sugar. It doesn’t need salt either. If you like to rim the glass check out this post How to Rim . You can take a cube of watermelon and wet the edge of glass and dip in sugar or salt.
- Leftover is good up to 2 days in a covered container in the fridge.
- More tips on post above.