Ube Halaya Recipe also known as Purple Yam Jam or Ube Jam is a popular Filipino ube dessert that can be eaten by itself, or as a filling for Hopia Ube, as an ingredient for Halo Halo and many more. Ube Halaya is made of grated or mashed purple yam and usually topped with latik (made of coconut milk) and cheese. My Mom’s Ube Halaya Recipe uses toasted coconut and toasted pinipig (rice flakes) too. The toasted toppings give it a crunchy twist.
Ube Halaya recipe reminds me of the Okinawan Sweet Potato Pie. The filling is so similar to Ube Halaya without the condensed and coconut milk. One of these days I will make it. I digress....
When making ube halaya it is best to use a non stick pan. You still have to stir constantly until consistency is thick but with less effort.
The image shows a step by step on how to make this ube halaya recipe.
I remember vividly as a child when my grandma made Ube Halaya, Biko Kalabasa she used a decorative glass container as shown below. Luckily my mom brought 2 of these sets here in the States. Sometimes I use it to serve Ube Halaya. I am really excited that I have some of my grandma’s kitchen stuff. It brings back some memories of her and the old days.
At times when I make ube halaya I like it less moist and crumbly so I tend to overcook it as showed on the image below. I like this texture for halo halo.
How to Make Ube Halaya Recipe
Watch my video and see how to make ube halaya. Make this ube recipe today. Magluto na tayo!
Ube Halaya Recipe (Ube Jam)
- 2 cups cooked purple yam grate or mash
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a pan preferably a non stick pan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add coconut milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk, sugar. Mix and bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked purple yam. Mix well.
- When mixture starts to boil lower heat to medium-low.
- Stirring constantly for 30 - 40 minutes or until mixture thickens and starts sticking to the kitchen utensil.
- Lightly grease llanera with butter. Set it aside and let it cool down before transfering to a serving plate.
- Serve room temperature or cold. Enjoy!