Do you like mushroom? If you do, try this Enoki Mushroom with Shrimp, simple and quick to make yet flavorful. The enoki mushroom is blanch in boiling water while shrimp is sautéed with other ingredients to make the savory sauce. For Vegan version, just eliminate the shrimp and it is delicious as well.
Soup we order at China Town usually come with enoki mushroom. It is commonly used in Chinese soup as one of the ingredients. Check out my Mushroom Wonton Soup and enoki can be used in this soup.
What is Enoki Mushroom?
Enoki mushroom is a long, thin mushroom with firm, crisp texture and has a shelf life of a week refrigerated. It is widely used in Japanese and Chinese cuisine. Enoki also known to Japanese as Enokitake. If you go to Asian stores, enoki mushroom is also referred to as gold needle mushroom or gold mushroom.
It is good plus it contains antioxidant beneficial to our health.
Enoki Mushroom is not commonly sold in my local grocery stores unlike other types of mushroom. I get this mushroom in Asian stores. They are packaged fresh and reasonably priced.
How to Prepare Enoki Mushroom
Take a bundle and trim about 1 inch of the root area. Gently separate each mushroom from each other. Place in a colander, wash and drain. Now, it’s ready to be used.
Enoki is good crisp and firm. Boil water and blanch it for a minute. Drain water and transfer to a serving plate. Then pour sauce over mushroom.
How Long to Keep Enoki Mushroom
Keep it refrigerated for a week in its packaging.
How to Cook Enoki Mushroom with Shrimp
I suggest to cook the sauce first and when ready to eat warm it and blanch the enoki mushroom in boiling water for a quick one minute. Drain water and pour over sauce. Serve hot with white rice.
- 1 pack of enoki mushrooms also sold as seafood mushrooms (5.3 oz 150 grams)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion minced
- 4 ½ tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg white (scrambled)
- salt to taste
- Before washing the enoki mushroom trim out the woody root section about ¾ of an inch.
Separate each mushroom, place in a strainer and wash. Drain excess water.
Add 4 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Blanch enoki mushroom for 1 minute.
- Drain off water and transfer enoki mushroom in a serving plate.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook both sides till pink. Set aside.
- Saute red pepper for a minute and remove from pan.
- On the same saucepan, saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Stir-in soy sauce and sugar.
- Pour water and simmer for 2 minutes over low heat.
Add shrimp, red pepper and green onions.
Add egg white stirring constantly for a minute. Remove from heat.
Pour sauce over enoki mushroom. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!
- Don't over blanch enoki mushroom. Keep it crisp and firm.
- If not serving right away, make the sauce ahead of time then blanch enoki mushroom when ready to serve.