Tokwa’t Baboy with Tausi a simple but flavorful dish and a family favorite. I call it a sister recipe of pork with tausi. They are very similar and the difference is the addition of tokwa (tofu).
Tokwa't Baboy with Tausi is made of pork, deep fried tofu in black bean sauce. If you love tofu, this is damn delicious.
Tokwa (tofu) is deep fried before added to the dish. It is mixed with the dish for a couple of minutes once meat is tender. Tokwa is crisp and not soggy when served.
Don’t confused this with tokwa’t baboy (tofu and pork) paired with spicy vinegar dip. Tokwa’t Baboy is dry with no sauce.
Pork belly and spareribs complement this dish so well. Left overs are always welcomed since it is tastier when it’s a day old.
Do I wash the tausi (salted black beans)?
No, I don’t. I just drain and discard liquid. If not using the whole can, take enough black beans and leave liquid with left over beans.
Can I refrigerate left over tausi for later use?
Yes, it is fermented and can stay for a couple of months in the fridge and longer if you freeze it. Don’t leave it in the can instead transfer in an air tight container.
I am not using all the tokwa (tofu) can I refrigerate?
Yes, as long as it is submerged in liquid and used within the next 2 days.
How do I prepare tokwa before frying?
Drain and discard liquid if using all the tofu. On a flat surface lay paper towels, place tofu and lay more paper towels above tofu.
Put something heavy on top of tofu to squeeze out excess liquid. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Replace paper towel if soaking wet.
Once dry, cut and deep fry. When cooked, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil. I will have a post on How to Prepare and Fry Tofu.
Can I cook the tokwa in the oven instead of frying?
Yes, bake at 200 degrees F for 25 - 30 minutes.
How to Cook Tokwa't Baboy with Tausi
Tokwa't Baboy with Tausi
- 1 pound pork belly or spareribs sliced into small pieces1 ½ x 1 ½
- 1 19 oz firm tofu cut 1 in x 1 in
- 3 tablespoons tausi salted black beans, drain liquid
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 ginger thumb size & julienned
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 4 teaspoons water
- 1 cup pork or chicken broth or water
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a pan heat oil over medium heat..
- Add and saute onion for 3 minutes.
- Toss-in ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Saute tomato until soft. Crushed tomato with kitchen utensil.
- Stir-in tausi (salted black beans) and cook for 1 minute.
- Toss-in pork belly or spareribs and cook until pale or light brown.
- Pour pork or chicken broth if available if not just add water.
- Cover pan and simmer for 40 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Toss-in fried tofu and simmer with sauce for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Note: Taste before seasoning with fish sauce or salt since black beans is already salty. Season with ground black pepper too.
- Serve hot.