Asian Carrot Radish Salad is easy, simple, crunchy and refreshing vegetable appetizer or side dish made of radish, carrot, green onion and shallot in a sweet savory sauce.
This radish salad pairs well with meat, chicken or poultry and fish. Red radish or Daikon variety will work well with this salad recipe.
For a delicious, crisp and crunchy salad, pick radish that are firm without brown spots.
If press for time, you can make this salad just before you eat, but it is much better if you allow it to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
It can be prepared a day earlier with sauce, developing a deeper festive red color if using the red radish. It will stay crisp and crunchy, but on the 3rd day I can’t guarantee the texture. This also applies to the Daikon variety.
Sesame oil complement the sugar-vinegar sauce, making it sweet and savory. I was never a big fan of sesame oil when I was younger but as I got older, I got accustomed to it. Maybe it is an acquired taste to some.
When a recipe calls for sesame oil, I always reduce the amount. As always, I tweak the recipe to my liking.
Radish is also delicious as a crunchy snack with some amazing health benefits. It is low in calorie with no fat.
A ½ cup of sliced radish is only 12 calories and a good source of Vitamin C, rich in fiber and other nutrients.
How to Make Asian Carrot Radish Salad
First, slice the radish thin sprinkled with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes. Cut carrots julienne and set aside.
Wash and drain radish.
Make the sauce. Combine sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Blend well until sugar is dissolved.
Green onion and shallots are optional but will add flavor to this delicious salad recipe.
Add radish, carrot, green onion and shallots to the sauce. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Serve as an appetizer or a side dish.
Try Other Refreshing Asian Salad
Filipino Singkamas Salad (Jicama Salad)
Asian Carrot Radish Salad
- 2 ½ cups radish sliced in circle
- 1 ½ tablespoons rock salt or Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black or white pepper
- 3 tablespoons carrot julienned
- 2 tablespoons green onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot
- In a bowl, add sliced radish sprinkled with 1 ½ tablespoons Kosher salt. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, wash and drain radish. Place in a big bowl with carrot, green onion and shallot.
- In a small bowl, make sauce. Combine sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ground pepper. Blend well.
- Pour sauce over radish. Set aside and chill in fridge for about 30 minutes. Radish will release some liquid.
- Blend mixture before serving. Enjoy!
- Can be done a day ahead and serve the following day. It will stay crisp and crunchy with deep red sauce.
- Sugar can be grainy after mixing sauce with vegetable but after chilled for at least 30 minutes, it will dissolve.
- It pairs well with meat, chicken or poultry and fish.
Leave a Comment