Persimmon Pomegranate Salad is packed with healthy and nutritious ingredients in a pomegranate honey vinaigrette. This simple salad is easy to make and colorful.
Eat it on its own or as a side with fish or meat.
Persimmon and Pomegranate are seasonal fruits and available from fall to early winter.
Fuyu and Hachiya are the 2 varieties of persimmon commonly sold in the market. For salad, it is best to use Fuyu.
I recently posted a Pomegranate Kale salad and I have mentioned in my post that for whatever reason I never got any pomegranate fruits from my tree last year.
I am guessing, it was too hot last year or maybe it was affected by my watering schedule or I trimmed the fruit bearing branch in the summer. Don’t know!
Anyway, if you love both these fruits get it while you can. I was at Costco the other day and they still have it.
A couple of teenagers were flagging down their mom and both were excited to see the pomegranate on the shelf.
They convinced their mom to get some. I was surprised they loved it too. Usually teenagers don’t like fruits.
By next month, they’re gone. I have to wait again 10 months to have these delicious fruits.
What is Persimmon?
Persimmon are native to Asia and later introduced in the US and Europe. Persimmon belongs in the berry family.
They are in season from October to January.
There are two varieties of persimmon: Fuya and Hachiya.
Fuya is the type commonly used in salads. It is firm, round and squat and orange in color. This type of persimmon is best when slightly soft.
It can be rock hard when you buy it, just leave it on the kitchen counter for a few days to ripe.
Eat this fruit on its own or with salad. I eat this unpeeled like an apple. I love the crunchy texture of the skin and it goes well with salad.
In my family, I am the only one who eats the peel. Anyway, you can add it to your salad peeled or not. It’s a matter of preference.
Remove the hard leaves on top of the fruit and slice it to add to your salad.
Hachiya is the other type of persimmon sold in the market. They are deep orange, oval-shaped and should be super soft before eating. They are mushy when ripe.
It is used for baking and I wouldn’t use it for my salad. I’ll use the juice but not the fruit itself.
What is a Pomegranate?
Pomegranate are round, deep red fruit with deep ruby red arils or seeds. When cutting a pomegranate, the arils or seeds are enclosed in a white pulp that is not edible.
Remove the arils with your fingers or a spoon.
They are juicy and delicious and I love them chilled.
I usually find them in the store late fall till early January. If you love them, get it soon.
How to Make Persimmon Pomegranate Salad
Tips: Kale is a leafy green with curly, coarse leaves. For best results, massage or squeeze the leaves for about 5 minutes to tenderize.
The salad ingredients are persimmon, pomegranate, kale, shallot, shaved almonds and parmesan cheese.
This salad is versatile. Add more fruits or substitute it with other fruits. Use other nuts or cheese, if you like.
Try Other Delicious Healthy Salad
Persimmon Pomegranate Salad
Pomegranate Persimmon Salad Ingredients
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 Fuya persimmon ripe and sliced (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 10 oz package chopped kale
- ½ cup shallot chopped
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shaved almonds
Pomegranate Honey Vinaigrette
- ½ cup pomegranate juice see notes if using fruit
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a big bowl, combine pomegranate, persimmon, kale, shallot, shaved almonds and parmesan cheese.
- Make Pomegranate Honey Vinaigrette: Whisk pomegranate juice, honey, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper then gradually whisk in olive oil.
- Drizzle vinaigrette dressing over salad.
- Serve or refrigerate for ½ hour before serving.
- Juice 1 ½ to 2 cups pomegranate seeds to get ½ cup juice. This post will show you How to Juice a Pomegranate.
- I prefer persimmon unpeeled with crunchy skin.
- Red onion is a substitute for shallot.
- Apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar combined with brown sugar or honey can be used in place of balsamic vinegar. Note: Substitute 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar with 1 tablespoon apple cider or red wine vinegar and ½ teaspoon brown sugar or honey.
- This salad can be prepared a few hours before serving. Combine all the salad ingredients except for the almonds and refrigerate. Add almonds and Pomegranate Honey Vinaigrette dressing when ready to serve. Also, dressing can be refrigerated before serving.
- Store leftover salad in a sealed container up to 2 – 3 days and refrigerate.
- Double the salad dressing recipe if you prefer more dressing.