Chicken Sopas Recipe is a creamy chicken macaroni soup, Filipino style. It is nutrient-rich, packed with chicken, vegetables, hot dog, ham, macaroni in creamy chicken broth. The addition of milk makes this delectable chicken noodle soup creamy, rich and flavorful.
It is a source of nourishment especially when feeling under the weather. When we were kids, in the onset of cold or flu, without a doubt my mom would be preparing chicken soup.
This chicken sopas recipe is a meal in itself but being Filipino, it becomes a viand paired with rice. Filipinos love to eat carbs on carbs like the Filipino spaghetti, Pancit Malabon and more. But honestly, this is one soup I don’t eat with rice, I prefer to pair it with garlic bread. This soup is actually good with toasted garlic and hard boiled egg. So if you like adding toasted garlic but lazy to make it, try having it with garlic bread. It is good. How would you know, if you don’t try it? Sometimes, we have to stay away from our beloved rice and be open to try something else.
This great tasting soup is nutritious and will fill you up at any time of day. To me, it doesn’t have to be cold outside, I’ll still have it. Also, this is a kids favorite, chicken, macaroni, creamy broth but of course except for the veggies.
How to Make Chicken Sopas
- When making the broth, chicken breast can be used. Although, it is best to mix it up with bone-in chicken for a delicious flavorful broth. If crunched for time, add bouillon to give your soup the chicken flavor.
- Shred chicken before adding to the soup.
- When making this soup, macaroni is cooked in broth with the other ingredients.
- Add the vegetables while macaroni is half cook, so they cook at the same. Macaroni should be al dente and not over cooked.
- Vegetables should be tender yet crisp. The one that cooks the longest, goes in first. I add the cabbage and celery a few minutes before turning off the heat. I want to keep it crisp and crunchy.
- Lastly, milk is added to give a rich creamy texture.
- Serve with a side of hard boiled eggs, toasted garlic and chopped green onion, if desired.
Note: Aside from macaroni, other pasta can be used like rotini, medium shell conchiglie or penne pasta.
Chicken Sopas Recipe and Video
More Delicious Chicken Soup
Chicken Sopas Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast and thighs or legs
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- 6 - 8 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pieces hotdog sliced diagonally
- ½ cup ham cubed
- 1 ½ cups carrots diced
- 2 cups cabbage sliced thinly
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a pot over medium heat, cook chicken with water, quartered onion, whole peppercorn and salt. Bring to a boil and remove scum that will float on top. Cook for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. When done, remove chicken and strain and reserve broth.
- Shred or dice chicken when cool to touch. Set aside
- In a pan over medium heat, saute onion until soft.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Toss-in hotdog and cook for a minute.
- Add ham and cook for a minute.
- Stir-in macaroni for about a minute.
- Stir-in cooked chicken.
- Pour reserved broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 3 minutes or until macaroni is half cooked, then add carrots.
- Pour evaporated milk, stir and continue to cook for about a minute.
- Add cabbage and celery. Cook for a minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off heat. Serve hot with a side of hard boiled eggs, toasted garlic and chopped green onion, if desired.
- If you don’t have enough broth, use Knorr Chicken Bouillon Cubes.
- I try to avoid having leftover soup. I make enough to have during the day as pasta tend to absorb the broth and it turns to a mushy texture. Refrigerate leftover.
- Other pasta like rotini, medium shell conchiglie or penne pasta will work with this soup.
- Keep vegetables crisp and not overcooked.
- This soup is delicious with toasted garlic bread.