This is the best bread pudding recipe with rum sauce I've ever made. Easy and decadent.
It requires 10 to 15 minutes of your time to prepare all the ingredients then bake it for about 45 minutes. I swear this is one of the best bread pudding recipe I have ever baked.
I got this recipe from a magazine while waiting for my doctor. Usually when I have a doctor’s appointment I read Home and Garden magazines.
This recipe was from 2009 and unfortunately I don’t know the author or magazine I got it from. So if this is your recipe, I thank you so much for sharing it.
It’s been a family favorite for many years now. This bread pudding recipe with rum sauce has been shared so many times with relatives and friends. So again, thank you so much.
In 2009, there were already cell phones but not smart phones. Today, if I find a recipe I like, all I need to do is take a picture of it.
During the early days, some people might tore the page or copy it. I copied it out of respect for my doctor. I’m sure there were other people like me who would like to see it too. Below is a picture when I copied it. The only paper I had was a 2009 IRS form.
Looking at the ingredients and instructions I knew it is easy to make and delicious. But what got me to copy it was the Rum Sauce.
It took me 2 years before I made this recipe. I was spring cleaning and reorganizing my stuff. That’s when I saw it. I’m glad I did. Ever since, it’s been part of our holiday spread.
I wish I can have it all the time but I can’t. Got to watch my waistline which is getting wider and wider from all the cooking!
Every time I give my neighbor some goodies, she always reminds me that she loves my bread pudding.
I have a sweet tooth but I can’t handle overly sweet desserts. While checking the recipe for both bread pudding and rum sauce I noticed that it had too much sugar for my taste.
So I tweaked it a little bit and reduced the sugar. This recipe is so forgiving. Customize the recipe depending on your liking or preference.
It called for pecan nuts and the only thing I had on hand was walnuts. You may add raisins, dried cranberry or other fruits you desire.
Can I use French Bread instead of Italian Bread to make bread pudding?
Yes, definitely. I’ve never tried using Hoagie but my guess you can also use it.
Should I refrigerate the bread pudding?
Yes, I do.
The rum sauce is thick. Can I warm it before drizzling on bread pudding?
Yes, warm it in the microwave for less than 10 seconds.
Can I customize this Recipe?
Yes you may. Get creative and add some dried fruits. If this recipe is still sweet to your liking reduce the sugar.
Watch my video - The Best Bread Pudding Recipe with Rum Sauce
If you have leftover hard bread don’t toss it. It is best to use a day old bread when making this bread pudding. Enjoy!
Easy Bread Pudding Recipe
- 3 cups Italian bread cubed
- 1 ¼ cups sugar (original recipe 2 cups)
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed (original recipe 1 cup)
- ¼ pound butter softened
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans chopped
- Rum sauce
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2 pan with butter or olive oil. Note: I used a pyrex and did not spray any grease.
- Place bread in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Pour mixture over the bread. Let it sit for 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, butter and pecans.
- Pour bread mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle pecan mixture on top and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Pour rum sauce over a piece of bread pudding and top with vanilla ice cream if desired.