Ginisang Sayote with Shrimp and Ground Pork is a simple Filipino vegetable dish cook by sauteing onion, garlic, tomato, pork, shrimp and sayote, a Filipino term for chayote.
Aside from pork or shrimp, it can be prepared with beef, chicken or fish. It is very versatile.
If pressed for time, this is a quick and easy to prepare dish that cooks in less than 30 minutes.
This is usually serve with white rice but if you are trying to lose weight, it can be eaten on its own and it will fill you up.
Here are few things I’ve learned by Googling Sayote or Chayote that I’m not aware of.
(1) It is a fruit and not a vegetable. I would have never guess that. All along I thought it is a vegetable.
(2) Another surprise is the seed is edible. If I knew, I would never discard the seed since both fruit and seed are high in amino acid and Vitamin C.
(3) And lastly, I can add it to salad without peeling the skin.
That’s why I love the internet, I can easily access the information I need with a click of a button. In the old days, I have to grab the heavy encyclopedia, go through the pages to find the information.
When we were young, my mom knew well if she made Ginisang Sayote we will not eat it. She was smart to make it into an omelette and sure enough our plates were wiped clean.
I guess we were dumb not to noticed what’s inside the omelette. She never had to bribe us with ice cream or chocolate.
If you want to take Ginisang Sayote to the next level, check out this post - Sayote Omelette. You and your kids will surely enjoy it.
How to Cook Ginisang Sayote with Shrimp and Ground Pork
If you like Ginisang Upo (bottle gourd), it is very similar to this dish.
Ginisang Sayote with Shrimp and Ground Pork
- 1 large sayote chayote, peeled & sliced
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large tomato cubed
- ¼ pound ground pork
- ¼ pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ cup water
- salt or fish sauce and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion until soft.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Add tomato and cook until soft and limp. Mash with kitchen utensil.
- Add pork and cook until pale.
- Toss-in shrimp and cook until pink.
- Add water or broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat. Toss-in sayote and cook until tender but crisp and not soggy.
- Season with salt and pepper.