Juicy Tender Sizzling Steak is something that makes my mouth water and my tummy grumbles. Today’s Delight is Rib Eye Steak wrapped in Bacon smothered with creamy Mushroom Gravy served in a Hot Sizzling Plate.
It is 2 am and I am getting so hungry while making the video for this post. I don’t care for leftover steak as it is best to have it right after it is cooked.
When craving for steak, buy the best cut to enjoy it. Rib eye steak is my all-time favorite as it is tender, juicy and flavorful.
Choose rib-eye with marbling that is evenly distributed. Marbling is the streak of fats within the meat. It is the reason why rib eye is so tasty and delicious.
My second choice is New York Strip steak. Once in a while, I get T-bone steak for grilling if on sale.
I am not a big fan of Fillet Mignon, one it is expensive. Don’t get me wrong, it is lean, juicy and very tender but not as flavorful as a rib-eye. I want fat in my steak.
This post is about cooking steak in a pan. I’ve been asked a few times how I cook steak on a regular pan instead of a cast iron.
When cooking on the stove, I prefer to use boneless Rib eye or New York Strip steak as it is easier to cook in a pan or cast iron.
If cooking steak in a pan, use olive oil or a combination of butter and olive oil but cooking on a cast iron, add oil or butter until steak is almost done.
When using a cast iron be prepared for smoke, it could trigger your smoke alarm. Luckily, I have a powerful ventilation in my house.
My Dad was a steak lover and we grew up loving it too. My mom always prepared tenderloin wrapped in bacon smothered with mushroom gravy.
If that was dinner, she never had a problem of telling us to finish our food. She prepared a side of corn and green beans cooked in the drippings and served in a hot sizzling plate.
We were called to the dining table once she had plated the steak and sides. Once we were seated, she pours the gravy on the hot plate and it felt like we were watching a show.
My brother and myself were so excited once it sizzles. Those were happy memories when we were kids. Guess what, my mom is one of those people who doesn’t care for red meat or chicken, but she makes it so good.
After a few years in the States, I requested my mom to buy me hot plates. Both me and my brother have a set of 4. On special occasions, I use it.
Steak is something I never get tired of eating. When I was in college, steak was an everyday dinner for me and my Jack Russel.
Steak was so cheap then, not as thick but still cheaper than eating out. Now, I limit myself once or twice a month.
Also, a juicy tender sizzling steak sounds so good after a fun packed day while on a long drive or on vacation.
Sometimes, I wonder why some people I know love to go to a Steak House but orders something other than steak. I don’t get that! Mine definitely is a juicy, tender and crusty steak with some delicious sides.
Recently, we were at Mariano’s and ordered 6 grilled rib-eye. I am the only one who ordered well-done. Theirs were already done and mine was still grilling.
They all tell me, how can I eat my steak well-done. Well, I don't like pink in my meat and I like the fat charred. In my opinion, it is tastier and flavorful.
Time and Temperature when Cooking Steak
The time and temperature listed is for steaks with a thickness of 1 to 1 ½ inch.
For best results, use a thermometer. I like my steak well-done and if I am the one cooking, I don’t even use a thermometer.
My steak will have a crusty charred exterior and I can tell from its appearance if it’s done to my liking, while the rest of the family prefers medium, so I use a thermometer.
- Rare steak's temperature should reach between 120 – 125 deg. F before removing from heat. Cooking time is between 5 ½ to 6 ½ minutes.
- Medium-rare steak's internal temperature should reach over 125 – 130 deg. F. Cook time is about 7 ½ to 8 ½ minutes.
- Medium steak's internal temperature should reach over 130 – 135 deg. F and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Well-done steak's internal temperature should reach over 135 and below 145 about 12 to 13 minutes cook time.
How to Season and Maintain Your Hot Plates
A hot plate keeps the food warm and a nice way to serve steak. Steak looks so appealing once it touches the hot plate and it starts to sizzle. It tempts our eyes and taste bud to devour it right away!
- Wash hot plate and handle with soap.
- Dry well.
- Use a paper towel with cooking oil and rub lightly all around hot plate.
- Place in oven at 375° deg F and bake for an hour.
- Leave it in the oven until it cools.
Hot Plate Maintenance
- Every use, wash it right away. Don’t let it sit in water or it will rust.
- Dry and rub lightly with oil before storing. If done after each use, it will never rust.
- If rusted, brush with a scrub brush until rust is removed.
- Wash with soap and dry.
- Rub it lightly with cooking oil and store.
How to Cook Sizzling Steak on Stove Top Using a Pan
1. If frozen, thaw steak in the fridge. Remove from fridge 1 hour before cooking.
2. Wash steak and dry it well with paper towel.
3. Trim extra fat if you like but leave some as it adds so much flavor.
4. If using bacon, cut toothpick in half. Wrap bacon around the sides of steak. Secure it with a toothpick where both ends meet and another toothpick on the other side. Just make sure to remove this before serving.
5. Season steak with kosher salt. Sprinkle with garlic powder or pepper if you like. Let it sit in room temperature and prepare the sides you need.
6. While cooking steak, if I need only 2 hot plates, I use the stove to heat it otherwise I use the oven. Keep it on high for the 1st 2 minutes then turn it low to keep it warm. Remove from stove once ready to serve steak. Be careful as it is very hot. Use oven mitts and the hot plate handle to transfer to the wood underliner.
7. Cook steak in pan. Turn on stove to medium-high.
8. Use a combination of butter and olive oil or just oil.
9. Pan should be hot. Add butter and melt until golden brown then add olive oil. Butter will sizzle when added to pan.
10. Add steak and sear one side for 2 minutes then the other side. Lower heat to medium if too high.
11. Use a tong, tilt the steak upwards and cook bacon till crisp. Keep turning steak until bacon is cooked.
12. Flip steak until cook.
13. Check above for time and temperature for cooking steak rare, medium-rare, medium or well-done.
14. When done, use tong and let drippings to drop in the pan and transfer steak to a plate. I don’t transfer it to a plate lined with paper towel. Pour extra dripping in pan.
15. Cook and saute your seasoned vegetables if you like. Remove from pan.
16. Make mushroom gravy using the same pan with drippings.
17. When pan is hot, add and saute the onions until soft. Heat should be on medium.
18. Stir-in cream of mushroom and add a little bit of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce is reduced and thicker. Adjust heat to medium-low.
19. Season gravy with salt and garlic powder, if needed.
20. Turn off heat.
21. Place hot plates on wooden underliners.
22. Transfer steak and sides to hot plate.
23. Take hot plate and gravy to dining area.
24. Pour gravy over steak and sides. It will sizzle and create some mess. Enjoy your sizzling steak!
Juicy Tender Sizzling Steak
- 2 Rib-eye Steaks boneless
- 2 strips of bacon
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ¾ can cream of mushroom 10.5 oz can
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 toothpicks cut in half
- Prepare any sides you like.
- Thaw steak in fridge. One hour before cooking, wash steak and dry well with paper towel.
- Wrap the sides of steak with bacon. Take a toothpick and cut in half. Use toothpick to secure bacons when it overlaps. Use the other half of toothpick to secure the opposite side. Remove toothpick when ready to serve.
- Season both sides of steak with Kosher salt.
- Set aside in room temperature while preparing the sides.
- Heat pan in medium-high. When hot, add and melt butter until golden brown then add olive oil.
- Add steak. Cook and sear one side for 2 minutes then the other side.
- Use a tong and tilt steak upwards to cook bacon till crisp. Rotate steak to evenly cook bacon.
- Check the time and temperature listed above depending on how to cook your steak – rare, medium-rare, medium or well-done.
- Flip the steak to cook more.
- While cooking steak, place 2 hot plates on the stove over medium-high heat for 2 minutes then lower to low. Leave it on stove until steaks are done.
- When steaks are done, use a tong and let drippings drop in the pan then transfer to a regular plate. Do not line plate with paper towel. Put any excess drippings back in the pan.
- I steam the vegetables and saute it in the drippings for a minute or you can cook it in the pan. Transfer to a plate.
- Make mushroom gravy in the same pan with dripping. Saute onion until soft. Lower heat to medium-low.
- Cook cream of mushroom and add a little bit of water. Once reduced and thick, season if needed. Turn of heat.
- Move hot plates to the wooden trays and transfer steaks and sides.
- Take it to the dining table.
- Pour hot gravy over steak and sides and it will sizzle and create some mess. Enjoy this delicious sizzling steak.