Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry with Oyster Sauce is Today’s Delight, a super easy recipe to make at home. Chicken and Broccoli are the main ingredients flavored with savory oyster sauce and other seasonings.
This simple and healthy dish is much flavorful when chicken is marinated for at least an hour.
I prepped everything the night before, so all I needed to do before lunch is cook it. This classic Chinese dish is very versatile.
Don’t care for chicken, use shrimp or flank steak. Tweak the recipe to your liking. Add cayenne pepper to give it some kick or add green or red bell pepper.
After marinating, it takes less than 30 minutes to cook this popular Chinese takeout.
What is Oyster Sauce?
Oyster sauce is a brown sauce that is slightly sweet and salty, commonly used in Chinese cuisine. Available in Asians stores and in your local grocer at the ethnic aisle.
Once this is open, it should be stored in the fridge. I made a mistake one time, opened a new bottle of oyster sauce and forgot to put in the fridge. The next time I needed it, it had mold, so a full bottle went to waste.
Tips in Making a Tender Moist Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry with Oyster Sauce
(1) Use chicken thigh as it is more tender and moist than chicken breast.
(2) Marinate chicken for at least an hour. I marinated mine overnight and prepared everything I needed, so all I have to do the following day is cook it.
(3) Combine the other sauce in a bowl. You can use regular white sugar or brown sugar. This sauce is thicken with cornstarch so stir it constantly after pouring it.
(4) Remove broccoli florets from its stem. Don’t discard the stem, peel and chop into match stick size (julienned). I did not blanch the broccoli in boiling water since it will be cooked in boiling chicken broth.
(5) When cooking chicken, make sure your oil is hot and add it in batches. Don’t overcrowd your pan, so chicken can fry and brown instead of steam.
(6) Don’t overcook chicken, so it is tender, moist and juicy.
(7) Serve this over white rice or load up on broccoli if you are watching your carb intake.
Try these other Delicious Chicken Recipes
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry with Oyster Sauce
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thigh or breast cut
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup rice wine
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons white sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small onion (½ minced & ½ julienned for garnish)
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame seeds
- Combine and whisk together the egg white, rice wine, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon cornstarch and baking soda in a medium sized bowl. Once blended, add chicken. Cover with saran wrap and place in fridge to marinate for at least an hour. The longer the better.
- In a small bowl, mix water, oyster sauce, sugar, pepper, remaining soy sauce & cornstarch. Set aside.
- Wash and remove broccoli florets from stem. Peel stem and cut into match stick size (julienned). Set aside.
- In a pan, heat oil over high heat.
- Stir fry chicken in batches to lighly brown. Don’t overcrowd chicken so it doesn’t steam.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add oil if needed, let it get hot.
- Over medium high heat saute minced onion for a minute, then add garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Toss-in broccoli and cook for ½ a minute.
- Add chicken broth, bring to a boil.
- Stir-in the oyster sauce mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve hot and garnish with sesame seeds and julienned onion. Enjoy!