Chicken Pastel is an easy casserole recipe that is creamy and scrumptious. I remember vividly when my mom makes this dish and the air was filled with buttery smell. The smell of garlic, onion and chicken sauteed in butter is decadent. On top of that milk is added for a rich, creamy texture. Make sure you have lots of white rice with this dish and fish sauce. Yes, I love fish sauce with Chicken Pastel.
When making this dish, it is best to fry the carrots, potatoes, green and red pepper separately so it is crisp and not mushy. I also suggest browning the chicken before sauteeing. It adds more flavor to the dish.
This is the easy version of Chicken Pastel. The other version is to bake it in a pie crust. Either you make your own pie crust or use a store bought crust. Instead of using a pie crust you can make it with a sandwich bread. I’ll show you these other options on another post in the future.
How to Make Chicken Pastel
You may add fresh or canned mushroom but it is optional. Try this recipe today. Enjoy!
Easy Chicken Pastel
- 1 ½ pounds chicken cutlets
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lemon extract juice
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 chorizo de bilbao or hotdog
- 1 carrot peeled and cut
- 1 large potato peeled and cut
- 1 small red bell pepper cubed
- 1 small green bell pepper cubed
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced in half (optional)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce and lemon juice for an hour.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Fry carrots, potatoes, green and red peppers. Set aside.
- In medium heat, add butter to oil and brown chicken.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until golden.
- Toss-in chicken.
- Add chorizo de bilbao or hotdog. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until chicken is tender.
- Toss-in cooked carrots, potatoes, green and red peppers. Stir for a minute.
- Pour milk. Simmer for another minute and a half.
- Season with fish sauce, salt and pepper. Enjoy!