Basil Chicken recipe is easy, quick and delicious one-pan chicken dish flavored with basil, Thai chili, jalapeno & red bell pepper. Give it a kick with some peppers. You can make it mild or spicy depending on your taste. This chicken dish is something you can easily whip up on a busy weekday that your whole family will love. In less than 15 minutes and with only a few ingredients, you can serve this scrumptious meal in no time.
Chicken flavored with basil, Thai chili, jalapeno and red bell pepper will definitely be a hit at the dinner table. It will complement white rice, salad or any other vegetables. If not a big fan of anything spicy, you can slice the chili peppers or jalapeno and remove the seeds or leave it out totally. Red bell pepper is a great substitute for these two spicy peppers. I enjoy this dish with a bit of spiciness so I left the seeds in one Thai chili pepper. That’s all I can take!
This summer, I decided I will grow my own herbs and one of them is Basil. At least, I don’t need to run all the time to the store if I need only a few for my cooking. I hate to see the leftover basil go to waste. And guess what, every time I need an ingredient I come home with bags of grocery, thus I can stay within my budget.
I experimented planting basil in the ground and in containers since it can get really hot out here. Basil planted in the ground seems to be thriving well while the ones in container doesn’t look as healthy and it’s not that hot yet! I’ll find out in a couple of months.
Basil used for this dish was taken from my very own garden. BTW, you can also use Thai basil. My Thai basil is still tiny so I only used its’ flowers as garnish.
Anyway, you can double up this easy Basil Chicken recipe if you like leftovers. It is more flavorful after a day or two. Enjoy!
Easy Basil Chicken Recipe and Video
- 2 pounds ground chicken or chicken breast cut in cubes
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 Thai chili pepper thinly sliced Note: for a milder spiciness, I de-seeded 3 chili & left one with seeds.
- 3 big Jalapeno peppers remove seeds
- ½ garlic head crushed and sliced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup basil leaves (regular or Thai)
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Stir-fry shallot for a minute.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute.
- Toss-in Thai chili and jalapeno. Cook for another minute.
- Stir-in chicken. Cook for about 4 minutes. Liquid will be release while cooking.
- Pour soy sauce and fish sauce.
For more sauce, add about 3 tablespoons or ¼ cup water or chicken broth. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- When chicken is done, stir-in red bell pepper and cook for another minute.
- Turn off heat and transfer dish to a serving plate so chicken doesn’t overcook.
- Serve with white rice, salad or any vegetable you desire. Enjoy!
Note: Soy sauce and fish sauce are both salty so no need to add salt. You can serve both sauce on the side if you like.