Chicken Mami Recipe is Today’s Delight.
Try this Chicken Mami recipe, a Filipino chicken noodle soup served in a rich flavorful chicken broth with egg noodles, chicken and trimmings like hard boiled egg, vegetable, green onion and toasted garlic.
The key to a delicious chicken mami is the broth. Homemade broth made by boiling chicken bones render the best, flavorsome and luscious chicken stock.
Once you have done the chicken broth, everything else is a breeze. Serve broth and noodles in a bowl with trimmings on the side.
It’s been raining hard intermittently the last 3 days which is an unusual occurrence for us with loud thunder and amazing lightning show.
Sun trying to peep out over the hovering dark clouds with beautiful rainbow at times and mesmerizing sunset. This is not always the case and I look forward to this kind of weather.
The smell of rain is a change for us and I’m loving it. Rainy, cloudy, dark, dreary, cold and a bowl of savory Chicken Mami can warm me up.
I took my mom on vacation a few years ago on her birthday to Vancouver Island in Canada. On our 2nd day, it stormed hard and I was enjoying it. As always, I had a room with balcony, a must for a smoker (quit already).
It was windy, pouring rain and I was out at the balcony craving for something noodle soup. Although we were close to China Town, it was impossible to go out. So we went to bed, craving for Chicken Mami.
If you ever go to Vancouver Island and love fall colors, one of the best time to visit is during the peak of Fall.
Go to Butchart Garden, visit the Sunken and Japanese Garden. It is lovely and absolutely beautiful. It was chilly but it was worth seeing the stunning and delightful vibrant fall foliage.
How to Make Chicken Stock
Use bone-in chicken. If you can buy a substantial amount of chicken neck, it is one of the best part to use when making chicken stock.
In a large pot, add bone-in chicken, onion, peppercorn, salt, garlic powder and water.
As soon as water boils, lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
If using chicken meat with bones, remove when tender. Remove chicken meat and return bones in the pot to continue cooking.
When done, strain chicken stock.
Refrigerate for a few hours and remove fat that harden on top.
Now, you can use this homemade chicken stock when cooking.
It is convenient to have chicken stock on hand. I freeze it in different sized containers for a month.
Try Other Delicious Filipino Chicken Soup
How to Cook Chicken Mami Recipe and Video
Chicken Mami Recipe
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs legs or breast (supplement with chicken neck, if available)
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 15 pieces peppercorn
- 6 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small carrot julienned
- 2 cups cabbage julienned
- 4 hard boiled eggs cut in half
- ½ cup green onions
- 1 package egg noodles
- ¼ cup toasted garlic
- In a pot, make chicken broth. Add 6 cups water, quartered onion, peppercorn, salt, garlic powder and chicken.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and shred chicken meat. Don’t turn off heat, return back chicken bones and continue simmering at very low heat for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, cook hard boiled eggs.
- Prepare carrot and cabbage, cut julienne.
- Boil & simmer 5 cups water, place some egg noodles on a colander strainer spoon and dip noodles in simmering water for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and drain water. Note: Read egg noodles cooking instruction on the package.
- Place carrot and cabbage on colander strainer spoon and dip vegetable for 30 seconds.
- In a bowl, add egg noodles and chicken. Serve toasted garlic, hard boiled eggs, carrot, cabbage and green onions on the side. Let people add the trimmings they like.
- Season broth with salt, if needed. Pour broth in egg noodle mixture. Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Dip only enough noodles you can consume. They tend to stick to each other if exposed to air.
- If you have leftover broth, refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze for a month.