Ginger and Scallion Crab is easy and quick stir-fry crab recipe, so flavorful with moist dungeness crab meat seasoned with ginger, scallion and garlic.
This simple ginger and scallion dungeness crab recipe cooks in half an hour.
I’ve been craving for crabs for quite a while but I haven’t been to the Asian store for months. I try to limit myself from running multiple errands just because I want something.
Blue crab season is over but luckily I can get dungeness crab at Costco or Sams. I prefer steamed blue crab and a sauce on the side but when having dungeness crab I like to season it with herbs and spices.
The best tasting dungeness crab I have ever had was at Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco and Public Market in Seattle.
It was super fresh and all it needed was salt. After all, their backyard is the Pacific Ocean and they have easy access to fresh crabs.
Unfortunately, I am quite far from the Pacific Ocean and I get it pre-cooked at Costco or Sams.
I bought live Dungeness crabs a few times from an Asian store and I didn’t like. The flavor was pretty bland and the crab meat was mushy.
It’s been years since I bought live dungeness. I get squeamish with the tank they are stored in. I don’t know how fresh they are and how long they been swimming in that murky water tank.
No doubt, this type of environment affects the freshness and texture of the crab.
I’ve never had any issues getting it at Costco or Sams. They are fresh with firm texture. To my surprise, they are not salty too.
Most pre-cooked seafood are quite salty and that is one of the reason why I like steaming or boiling my own crab, I can control the amount of salt plus coming from saltwater they retain that saltiness in their meat.
In fact, getting it pre-cooked saves me time from boiling. All I need to do is remove the gills, gut and wash it. Then, I am ready to stir-fry.
Tips Preparing Stir-Fry Dungeness Crab
Note: I am using PRE-COOKED DUNGENESS CRAB.
(1) I am assuming, if you are buying live dungeness crabs that you know how to cook them. You can boil or steam them.
Check out my other post, HOW TO PREPARE THE DUNGENESS CRAB for detailed instructions and images.
(2) Remove the shell cover from the body. Discard if you don’t care for the crab butter (yellow stuff).
Note: It is a delicacy to some people, but in the USA it is not a common thing to eat the crab butter.
(3) On the crab body, remove the gills on both sides then remove the apron on the underside of crab.
(4) Wash crab to get rid of the yellow stuff (that some refer to as goop).
Note: If you like the yellow stuff, no need to wash it.
(5) Use a big knife and cut the crab in the middle then cut each halves. You’ll end up with 4 pieces.
This will ensure legs are infused or penetrated with the spices.
Note: More on crab butter (yellow stuff inside crab). If you are not aware, crab butter also known as crab mustard or tomalley is very rich and it is used to enhance the flavor of seafood sauces.
Think again, why is your favorite restaurant seafood with sauce so delectable?
Ginger and Scallion Crab Recipe and Video
Dungeness crab is stir fried in garlic, ginger and scallion.
This Dungeness crab recipe is quick, easy and so delicious .
This is decadent on it's own or serve with lemon and butter on the side.
Try Other Delicious Crab Recipe
Ginger and Scallion Crab
- 1 Dungeness Crab pre-cooked, cleaned & cut
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons thumb ginger minced
- ½ cup scallion chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Melt butter over low heat then add oil and raise temperature to medium-low.
- Saute garlic for a minute.
- Stir-in ginger. Continue cooking until garlic and ginger are golden and aromatic.
- Add scallion and continue cooking for a minute.
- Add dungeness crab, fresh ground pepper and blend until well coated with spices.
- Serve immediately on its own or with lemon juice and butter if you like.
- This Ginger and Scallion Crab recipe has dry sauce.
- Crabs are salty so I don’t season with salt.
- If you like fresh garlic and ginger, feel free to add more to this crab stir-fry recipe.
- Any leftover, store in fridge up to 2 days.
- If you are not familiar how to clean dungeness crab, refer to my other post HOW TO PREPARE DUNGENESS CRAB.