This Healthy Pomegranate Kale Salad with feta cheese, shallot and almonds drizzled with refreshing lemon balsamic dressing is a perfect side or meal in itself.
With a perfect blend of salty, sweet, tangy flavors that everyone will love.
Pomegranate Kale Salad is simple, easy to make and loaded with healthy ingredients high in nutrients and antioxidant.
This festive salad is great for your Christmas dinner spread or as a staple winter salad.
The lemon balsamic dressing is not overwhelming and it pairs well with Pomegranate Kale Salad. This healthy salad will complement any meat when served as a side.
I love pomegranate and end up planting my own tree. The pomegranate fruit is juicy and delicious and I can’t wait to get in season.
It is a gorgeous deciduous tree or shrub with beautiful bright red flowers in the spring and very attractive deep red fruits that looks like ornaments during late summer and fall. Before it looses its leaves in the fall or winter, it’s foliage turns to brilliant display of autumn colors of bright yellow, orange and red.
It was last year that I fully appreciated my pomegranate tree. It produced wonderful huge fruits similar to store bought with deep ruby red juicy arils.
For whatever reason, no fruits this year. I don’t think I should be concerned, even my Thompson grapevine did not bear fruits and my guava was not abundant either compared to previous years.
Hmmm, it could be that it was so hot this year plus I had to heavily trimmed the pomegranate branches that bore fruits last year.
As much as I don’t want to trim it, I had to save the tree. It leaned on its side last year towards my common fence with my neighbor, thanks to the gophers digging my yard. This is such a crazy year!
Hopefully, 2021 will bring abundant fruits and some normalcy for all which we have been longing for. Even my plants are acting up! LOL!
Anyway, while pomegranate are in season, try this Healthy Pomegranate Kale Salad. It is versatile and you can add other ingredients you like or you have.
Also, lemon are in season too. My neighbor has a lemon tree with branches hanging over my fence with tons of lemon. It is so convenient to make this salad with 2 of the ingredients already in my backyard.
Tips and Ingredients for Pomegranate Kale Salad
This Pomegranate Kale Salad has 5 healthy and delicious ingredients. It is very light but enough to fill you up or pair it with your favorite protein.
(1) Kale is a hearty leafy green with curly, coarse, dry leaves and are highly nutritious. When prepared properly, it is a great staple in salads.
Remove the thick stem and cut the leaves into long narrow strips then massage or squeeze the leaves for about 5 minutes to tenderize.
(2) Ripe Pomegranate should be firm and heavy. As much as possible, get a pomegranate that doesn’t have a crack. The skin is quite hard and thick so be careful when using a knife.
Insert the knife at the center to cut open the fruit or if there’s a crack, start in that area then cut into halves.
Use a spoon or your fingers to remove the seeds or arils. Remove and discard the white spongy pulp surrounding the pomegranate seeds.
(3) Shallot is always a great addition to salad. They are a bit sweeter with a subtle flavor compared to regular onion. Red onion can be used as a substitute.
(4) Add shaved almonds to add texture and flavor to your salad. Almonds has many health benefit and contain lots of healthy fat.
(5) Feta cheese is low in calories and fat and perfect to crumble in salads. It is healthier than other cheeses with high nutrients good for bone health.
(6) Make it even better with a healthy Lemon Balsamic Dressing. Apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar can be used in place of balsamic vinegar combined with brown sugar or honey.
Note: Substitute 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar with 1 tablespoon apple cider or red wine vinegar and ½ teaspoon brown sugar or honey.
You can make this salad a few hours before serving. Combine all the salad ingredients except for the shaved almond and refrigerate. Add almonds and Lemon Balsamic Dressing when ready to serve.
Other Delicious and Healthy Salad Recipe to Try
Asian Cucumber Salad
Asian Carrot Radish Salad
Mediterranean Kale Salad with Kalamata Olives and Feta
Persimmon Pomegranate Salad
Pomegranate Kale Salad
Pomegranate Kale Salad Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups pomegranate seeds
- 1 10 oz package chopped kale
- ½ cup shallot chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup shaved almonds
Lemon Balsamic Dressing
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- In a big bowl, combine pomegranate, kale, shallot, feta cheese and shaved almonds.
- Make Lemon Balsamic Dressing: Whisk balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, kosher salt and pepper then gradually whisk in olive oil.
- Drizzle dressing over salad.
- Serve or refrigerate for ½ hour before serving.
- Substitute shallot with red onion, if you like.
- Apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar can be used in place of balsamic vinegar combined with brown sugar or honey. Note: Substitute 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar with 1 tablespoon apple cider or red wine vinegar and ½ teaspoon brown sugar or honey.
- If you like, you can make this salad a few hours before serving. Combine all the salad ingredients except for the shaved almond and refrigerate. Add almonds and Lemon Balsamic Dressing when ready to serve.
- Refrigerate leftover salad in a sealed container up to 2 – 3 days.
- If you like more dressing, double the recipe.
Leave a Comment