Taro and Coconut Milk Drink with Toasted Green Pinipig is one decadent drink my mom prepares when buying a huge taro (gabi). Taro and coconut milk drink is so good when chilled and topped with toasted green pinipig (rice flakes). There’s a light colored beige pinipig but we use green pinipig to give it color. Since I also have Japanese Purple Yam I added some too. We love our food to be colorful. Vegetarians will enjoy this drink.
There’s a big difference between the fresh green pinipig (young rice flakes) and imported green pinipig. The fresh pinipig is moist and ideal for toasting but the imported version is drier and when toasted they don’t evenly cook, some are hard and not crunchy. Well anyway, Filipinos abroad are still lucky that green pinipig is available outside of the Philippines.
When buying taro (gabi) it is usually big. We end up using it for 2 dishes like sinigang, filling for hopia, for this taro and coconut milk drink with toasted green pinipig, for ginataang halo halo and many more. My mom used to make shrimp wrapped in taro which I will be making one of these days – yummy!
My mom used fresh squeezed coconut milk when making this drink but I would rather go the easier route- I am using a canned coconut milk which is also good. If you are adding a lot of ice you don't need to dilute the coconut milk with water.
How to Make Taro and Coconut Milk Drink with Toasted Green Pinipig
If you are contemplating buying taro because it is huge try making this drink and another dish. Or if you already have it in your fridge save a small piece and make this drink. Watch my video how to make taro and coconut milk drink with toasted green pinipig. When I made this video I only have 2 small taros but I prepare using the big taro for this drink. It is firmer than the small ones.
Taro and Coconut Milk Drink with Toasted Green Pinipig
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups taro boiled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup or 1 small Japanese Purple Yam boiled and diced optional
- 1/2 cup toasted green pinipig
- 3 tbsp sugar or depending on your taste
- 10 ice cubes
- In a tall glass combine coconut milk and sugar. Mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- I used 2 tall beer glasses (pilsner) and added about 5 ice cubes on each glass. Pour sweetened coconut milk on each glass.
- Add taro, purple yam and topped with toasted green pinipig.
- Serves 2. Enjoy!
- Serve it cold. You can eliminate the ice cubes if you place the sweetened coconut milk in the fridge. Before serving check if you need to dilute the coconut milk with water.
- Toast the pinipig ahead of time and put it in a sealed container. I have many uses for toasted pinipig so I toast the whole package so it is ready when ever I need it.