Stuffed Eggplant Recipe has many variants when preparing and making this dish. This recipe calls for onion, garlic, tomato, ground beef, potatoes, raisin, green and red bell peppers. I also make a Greek eggplant version similar to this recipe. Both are really delicious.
For a while, I was allergic to eggplant and for 5 years I did not have it. I seem to have all sort of allergies which really suck. Dermatitis, sinus, food allergy you name it, I have it. I love to grow plants and vegetables and Japanese eggplant is one. You should see my roses, they are wonderful. My front yard is a showstopper when my roses are in bloom. But I don't let my allergy stop me from doing what I love. As long as I have benadryl and epipen, I am fine. Luckily, I never had to use the epipen yet.
Yeah, all of a sudden I was allergic to eggplant. My face itched when I ate it. I googled and it was among the nightshade veggies that can cause food allergy. These nightshade vegetables include bell peppers, eggplants, potatoes, tomatoes, chili pepper, cayenne pepper & paprika. They are all commonly used in cooking. What puzzles me, I use all these ingredients in my cooking and only have an allergic reaction to the eggplant. My late father was allergic to tomatoes and chicken. I guess, it runs in our family.
I was never concerned when I have allergic reaction until one day my face got so swollen and was rushed to the ER. From then on, I took it seriously. A few months ago, I accidentally ate an eggplant at a gathering and I was fine. Thank God! I love eggplant so much that I can finally eat it again. I can have stuffed eggplant, tortang talong, inihaw na talong, the Greek eggplant version or anything eggplant. Yes!
How to Make Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
If you are tired of our classic tortang talong, try this stuffed eggplant recipe. Watch my video and see how i cook stuffed eggplant. Please don't forget to subscribe to my youtube channel if you like my videos. Thank you for your support. Until next time.... Magluto na tayo!
Try this Stuffed Eggplant Recipe Today
Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
- 1 big eggplant cut in half
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large tomato diced
- ½ pound ground beef
- 2 bay leaves optional
- 1 large potato julienne
- ¼ cup green pepper seeded and diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons raisins chopped or whole
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut eggplant in half and place in the oven at 350 degrees until soft. Remove from oven & set aside. Or fry eggplant until soft.
- In a pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until golden and fragrant.
- Toss in tomatoes. Cook until soft. Crush it with kitchen utensil.
- Add fish sauce and bay leaves, if desired but optional.
- Stir in ground beef. Substitute with pork or chicken.
- Cook ground beef until pale brown.
- Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Toss in raisins, green and red bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let it cool down.
- Beat eggs in a concave big plate. Set aside.
- Once eggplant is soft. Scoop out about half of the eggplant pulp and add it to the meat mixture. Add 6 tablespoons of beaten egg to the meat mixture. Mix well.
- Fill the eggplant halves with the meat mixture.
- Put the eggplant halve on the beaten egg plate and pour some egg all over the eggplant. Do the same with the other half.
- Heat oil over medium to low heat.
- Fry eggplant until golden.
- Serve hot with ketchup. Enjoy!
Leave a Comment