Pork Afritada recipe is a popular Filipino tomato based pork stew with hot dog, carrots, potatoes, green and red peppers.
Depending on my mood, I cook Pork Afritada in 2 different ways. I either boil the pork over medium heat with onion, peppercorn and tomato sauce until sauce is reduced. Then I add the fried vegetables. Or I saute the ingredients which I did with this Pork Afritada recipe. One thing I learned from my mom when making stew, she fries the carrots, potatoes and green and red pepper to keep it crisp and vibrant in color. When she had her catering business, it was important that her food looked appetizing and not soggy or mushy. Once pork is tender, all the cooked vegetables are tossed in for about two minutes. Thus, the veggies maintained its crispness and color. Pork Afritada is one of the easiest Filipino recipes to prepare and cook.
If you prefer to cook with chicken instead of pork, check out my chicken afritada recipe.
How to Cook Pork Afritada
This Pork Afritada recipe is very similar to Pork Menudo or Mechado. All these dishes are hearty, simple to make and flavorful.
Watch my video “How to cook Pork Afritada”. Make it today. Magluto na tayo!
Try this Pork Afritada Recipe
Pork Afritada Recipe
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 medium sized potatoes peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 big carrot peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1/2 green bell pepper seeded and sliced diagonally
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded and cut diagonally
- 3 hot dogs sliced diagonally
- 1 small onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds pork butt or pork shoulder cut into 2 inch x 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 can (8 oz ) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Fry both potatoes and carrots at the same time. Flip both when one side turns light brown.
- Carrots will cook first. When it turns light brown on both sides, remove it from the pan. Drain the oil and transfer carrots in a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Do the same thing for all fried veggies. Set aside.
- When potatoes turns golden brown remove it from pan. Drain oil and set aside.
- Saute green and red pepper for 2 minutes. Don’t overcook to maintain its crispness. Drain oil and set aside.
- Remove some oil from pan leaving about 3 tablespoons.
- Saute hot dog for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the garlic and cook till golden.
- Add fish sauce.
- Stir in pork and cook till light brown.
- Add tomato sauce. Mix well.
- Pour broth or water. Bring to a boil then lower heat.
- Simmer and cook pork until tender.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the green and red pepper. Mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Season with ground black pepper, fish sauce or salt whichever you prefer.
- Serve hot.
Cooking Tips When Making Afritada
- Frying the carrots, potatoes and the green and red pepper will maintain its crispness and color. Boiling the veggies with the stew will make it soggy or mushy.
- If you love afritada make extra servings and have it the following day. It is tastier the next day.
- It is ok to substitute the hot dog with smoked sausage or polish sausage.
- You can also add garbanzos when you add the cooked veggies.