This creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes is savory flavored with roasted garlic and chives. Amazingly good and easy to prepare and a great side dish for any occasion like Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter dinner. Most of the ingredients are staples in the kitchen and versatile as well.
Sweet potatoes are sweet and creamy thus it doesn’t require milk, cream or sugar. I have made it without butter or cream, just herbs and spices and it is flavorful.
It is delicious as is, added to salad, soup or stew. It can be candied or serve as dessert. It is succulent roasted like this Roasted Sweet Potatoes in Rum Sauce.
This mashed sweet potatoes recipe is simple and you can use it as base. Add some of your favorite herbs and spices to add more flavor.
How to pick sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes and yam are used interchangebly in grocery stores in the US but they are totally different.
Sweet potatoes have a smoother skin with sweet, creamy soft orange, purple or whitish flesh and in some countries they also come with yellow flesh.
Yams have rough, hard to peel skin and flesh is starchy and drier.
So don’t get confuse.
Red Garnet, Jewel and Beauregard are common varieties of orange-fleshed sweet potatoes available in the US.
Red Garnet is my favorite for its moist, sweet and creamy texture.
Fresh sweet potatoes should be firm with smooth skin. Avoid getting something with shriveled or bruised skin and growth on the skin.
If not using right away, store in cool, dark and dry area.
How to cook sweet potatoes
Before combining all the ingredients, sweet potatoes are cooked first.
STEAM – I prefer to steam than boil sweet potatoes. I like to steam it whole with skin-on.
Steaming sweet potatoes preserve its nutrients, does not absorb water and cooks in 30 minutes. To check if already tender, pierce with a knife or fork in the center.
If you like it without the skin, it is easy to peel after steaming.
BOIL – Boiling sweet potatoes is another option. Add whole skin-on sweet potatoes in a pot covered with water. Cover pot, bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
Use a knife or fork and poke it in the center to check if already tender.
Note: Don’t cut sweet potatoes into cubes and boil. It will absorb water unless you like it mushy.
ROAST - Roasting cubed sweet potatoes (peeled or not) is another option of cooking it. Coat sweet potatoes with oil and place it in a large baking sheet in one layer.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Make sure to keep an eye on them after 20 minutes and pierce with a knife or fork to check if soft.
How to make mashed sweet potatoes
This recipe is one of the easiest side dish to make with only a few steps.
- First cook the sweet potatoes. Boil, roast or steam.
- Cut into cubes and mash the sweet potatoes together with butter, yogurt or sour cream and mashed roasted garlic.
- After using a potato masher, if you like your sweet potatoes smoother, use a bigger kitchen spoon or an immersion blender.
- Stir-in chives, salt and pepper. Serve it warm or cold.
Frequently asked questions
Are sweet potatoes good for you
It is a superfood pack with nutrients that is good for your overall health. It is rich in vitamin C and vitamin B and a good source of fiber, potassium and magnesium. Sweet potatoes skin are edible too.
What’s not to love, it is delicious, cheap, easy to prepare and healthy.
To make this recipe a healthy mashed sweet potatoes, eliminate butter and sour cream and use more herbs and spices. As you can see, I am not using a lot of butter or sour cream.
Can I add other ingredients to this recipe
Yes, this sweet potatoes recipe is versatile.
SPICES - You can add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika for added flavor.
HERBS – Dill, parsley, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, tarragon are delicious with sweet potatoes.
VEGETABLES - Green onion and shallot are delicious with this recipe.
How to mash sweet potatoes
You can mash sweet potatoes with a potato masher, a big kitchen spoon, hand mixer or an immersion blender.
Depending on your preference, sweet potatoes can be mashed smooth or with some lumps.
When I use the potato masher, I get some lumps and for a smoother and creamier consistency, I continue mashing with a big spoon.
Also, it might need some cream and use an immersion blender or hand mixer for a smoother texture.
Can I make this recipe in advance
Yes, make it a day or a couple of days before serving. Cover bowl with saran wrap and store in the refrigerator. It is good cold or warm.
Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to freeze mashed sweet potatoes
I recommend dividing it into portions before freezing. This way, you thaw only what you can consume.
Store it in an airtight container, but the best option is a vacuum sealer (food saver) and freeze up to 3 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. It is delicious cold or warm. Reheat in the microwave.
Other delicious side dish
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes cubed (peeled or not)
- 1 clove garlic roasted, peeled and mashed
- 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons yogurt or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chives chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Wash sweet potatoes.
- Steam whole skin-on for 30 minutes or until tender. To check, pierce with a knife or fork in the center.
- Cool, peel if desired and cut into cubes.
- Combine sweet potatoes, mashed garlic, yogurt or sour cream and butter in a bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Note: If you like it smooth, after using the potato masher, use a big kitchen spoon and mash it more.
- Stir-in chives, salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Coat whole skin-on garlic with oil, wrap in foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until soft. If you love garlic, you can add 1 more clove. Mash with a spoon or knife.
- If you prefer to boil, place whole skin-on sweet potatoes covered with water in a pot. Cover pot, bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Pierce with a knife or fork to check if tender.
- If you prefer to roast, cut sweet potatoes into cubes and coat lightly with oil and place it in a large baking sheet in one layer. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Make sure to keep an eye on them after 20 minutes and pierce with a knife or fork to check if tender.
- If you like a healthier version of this recipe, make it without cream or butter. Sweet potatoes are already creamy and good as is but if you like to add more flavor, stir-in your favorite herbs and spices. Refer to the post above.
- Store leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Freeze in portions in an airtight container or vacuum sealer (food saver) up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Serve cold or warm. Reheat in the microwave.
- You can make this a day or a couple of days before serving. Cover bowl with saran wrap and store in the refrigerator. It is good cold or warm.
- More tips and information in the post above.