For your Superbowl party impress your family and friends with your very own Homemade Pizza Dough so simple, quick and easy to make. Topped it with a savory sauce, soft fresh mozzarella, pepperoni, parsley and olives. YUM! Making pizza dough looks complicated but it’s not. It takes time to rise the dough but it is a breeze to make it.
“How to Make Pizza Dough” might become the topic of the night among the ladies. If you are like me and other ladies out there who are not fully focus on the game especially when nothing exciting is happening then this pizza might become the conversation piece before or after half-time. Please remember to give them my website. Thank you for doing that!
When I moved to the US the first thing I learned to make was a pizza dough from a friend in San Diego. I need to find that recipe since it was scrumptious with the sautéed toppings. When I was in the Philippines I used to make Hawaiian Pizza using a pre-made dough. It was also delicious. My family loved it.
Can I make the pizza dough ahead of time?
I have a suggestion. Make extra pizza dough and keep it in the fridge. Maybe some of your family members or friends would like to make their own sauce and toppings. You are not limited to the classic sausage or pepperoni pizza. Make a veggie pizza. Get creative with your sauce. If you have a decadent pizza sauce recipe, please share it under comments. We will forever be grateful.
Can I use all-purpose flour instead of bread flour to make pizza dough?
Yes, you can also use all-purpose flour. Measurement might vary between 2 1/4 cups to 2 1/2 cups. Start with 2 cups flour if too sticky add 1/4 cup. Slowly add more until desired texture. I have noticed that using bread flour is more crispier than using all- purpose flour.
Experiment to see which one you like better. I prefer bread flour when making pizza dough.
One of my favorite pizza and I love their dough is Lou Malnati's of Chicago. One of these days, I will try to recreate their dough. If by any chance you have a similar dough recipe please share under comments. Again, I will forever be grateful.
What type of yeast should I use for pizza dough?
Both the original or instant yeast will work.
If you’ve never tried making pizza dough, you’ll be surprise how quick and easy it is to make. If you use an instant yeast it will take about 30 to 45 minutes to double its size. While using the Active Dry original yeast will take more than an hour.
Why poke pizza dough with a fork?
Before putting your toppings, make sure to poke the dough about 10 times with a fork so it doesn’t bubble up while baking.
Can I use olive oil instead of cornmeal on my baking pan?
Yes. Pizza dough will not stick on the baking pan if you grease it with olive oil or sprinkle cornmeal.
Can I season the pizza dough?
Yes, you could. The dough get it's flavor from all the toppings. You could season the whole dough while mixing all the dry ingredients. In my case, I only like adding flavor to the dough edges.
I am a big fan of garlic powder so guess what I usually sprinkle around the edges. Experiment with your favorites spices and seasoning. Italian seasoning is also good.
Can I make the pizza dough square instead of circle?
Yes, you could. Use a rolling pin or your hands to form the dough. Make sure to pinch the dough edges so toppings doesn't overflow to the sides.
Can I warm leftover pizza in microwave?
I don't recommend using the microwave since pizza will not be crispy anymore. Use a toaster oven if you have one.
In two weeks, most people will be focus on the much awaited Superbowl and pizza is one of the most served or ordered dish. Make this Game Night a night to remember with your homemade pizza dough and sauce topped with pepperoni and olives.
How to Make this Quick Easy Homemade Pizza Dough & Sauce (Recipe & Video)
If you are looking for an easy pizza dough, try this one. The thickness is great – not too thin nor too thick. The pizza's diameter is 9 in x 9 in but you can make it bigger if you prefer a very thin dough. The texture is great. Crispy on the outside and a bit chewy on the inside.
The pizza sauce is savory and scrumptious. I used Four Cheese Pasta Sauce seasoned with dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, onion powder, ground pepper and a little bit of sugar which is optional. Topped this delicious sauce with toppings you like. This pizza is oozing with mozzarella cheese, crispy pepperoni edges, juicy fire roasted tomatoes and fresh parsley. Great for game night and beer!
Guess what I forgot - red onions. I love red onions with my pizza.
Homemade Pizza Dough and Sauce
- 3/4 cup Del Monte Four Cheese Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Make Pizza Dough
- 3/4 cup warm water between 105°F to 112°F
- 1 envelope instant yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz Boar’s Head Fresh Mozzarella Cheese sliced
- 20 pieces pepperoni
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomato diced
- 1/3 cup black olives sliced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
How to Make Pizza Sauce
- Pour pasta sauce in pan. Bring to a simmer and add all remaining ingredients. Cook for another 3 minutes. Set aside while preparing the dough.
How to Make Pizza Dough & Assemble Pizza
- In a small bowl, pour ¾ cup water and place in the microwave for 12 minutes. Microwave temperature varies. Water should be lukewarm not hot or you will kill the yeast.
- Add 1 packet of instant yeast. Mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes until you see bubbles.
- Add olive oil. Blend well.
- In a separate large bowl add flour, sugar and salt. Mix well.Note: This is the time to season the whole dough if you like. Please see Q&A above.
- Pour yeast mixture until well blended..
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work area.
- Brush a large bowl lightly with olive oil. Set aside.
- Knead dough until it forms a ball.
- Put dough in bowl and cover with saran wrap. Place dough in the oven for about 30-45 minutes until it double in size.
- Spread cornmeal on the baking sheet.
- Punch dough to flatten. Stretch dough starting at the center using a rolling pin or your hands to flatten and form a circle. Pizza size is 9 in x 9 in but could be bigger with thinner dough.
- Note: If you feel like it, pinch the edges of the dough so toppings doesn’t overflow to the sides.
- Poke pizza dough with a fork about 10 times so it doesn’t bubble up while baking.
- Spread pizza sauce.
- Cut fresh mozzarella cheese and spread around dough. Note: Don’t worry if cheese is not evenly cut.
- Add pepperoni, olives, diced fire roasted tomatoes and fresh parsley.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake for 15-20 minutes until dough edges are crispy.