Adobong Pusit recipe is squid stewed in vinegar and soy sauce but not this one.
During the old days before Filipinos discovered the use of soy sauce adobo was seasoned with salt instead of soy sauce. They called it Adobong Puti.
I’m not sure if I should call this recipe Adobong Pusit na Puti. Anyway, depending on my sibling’s mood he might add soy sauce or just the traditional salt.
Either way with or without soy sauce, they are both flavorful.
They made this tangy dish while I was there and it was very delicious. My brother was cooking while my niece was video taping.
My brother is always grilling squid. On this day though he decided to make adobong pusit since it was cold outside.
When he was at the Korean store he was surprised how expensive these squids were. They told him it was the premium type.
Well anyway, it was very sweet and delicious. He cooked it spot on – not rubbery or chewy.
He cleaned the squid by removing the eyes, the transparent backbone or cellophane as we call it and the innards.
He separated the head from the body and sliced the squid into rings or bite size.
How to cook Adobong Pusit
I’m salivating while watching their Adobong Pusit video. Watch their video “How to Cook Adobong Pusit Pinoy Style” if you’ve never made it. Magluto na tayo!
Adobong Pusit Recipe
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5 huge squids cleaned and sliced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a wok, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic. Cook until golden.
- Stir in the chili peppers. If you want it spicier chopped the chili peppers.
- Add the squid (head only) and cook for 2 minutes. It takes longer to cook this part.
- Add the remaining squid, vinegar and ground pepper. Do not stir until it boils.
- When the squid turns pink cook it for another 3 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Squid can get rubbery if cooked too long.
- If you want to add soy sauce feel free to add 2 tablespoons at the same time vinegar is added.
Leave a Comment