Turmeric tea is becoming popular like green tea due to its benefits and medicinal properties. More and more people are adding hot or cold turmeric drink to their diet. You can easily make turmeric tea by boiling water and turmeric root. It has a rich and soothing flavor.
Turmeric root is a tuberous ginger-like plant that grows underground. When you peel a turmeric root the interior is bright orange that can stain your hands. It is best to wear gloves when peeling fresh turmeric root.
When processed it can turn into a bright yellow-orange spice used in cooking like curries and sauces. Another form of consuming turmeric is making turmeric tea. Both spice and tea has been used for thousands of years for its medicinal, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Today, more and more people are learning the health benefits derived from consuming turmeric. One of the easiest way to reap many of its benefits is through turmeric tea. Based on healthline.com these are the health benefits gained by adding turmeric to your diet.
1. It helps ease inflammation and swelling due to arthritis.
2. The curcumin or antioxidant found in turmeric can prevent alzheimers disease.
3. The National Institute of Cancer has recognized the substance curcumin can prevent cancer.
4. It can boost ones immune system.
5. It lowers cholesterol.
6. It helps treat inflammation of the iris.
Other known benefits are: it helps with digestion, cure skin problems, works as an antiseptic,
relieve pain, purifies the blood and regulates blood clot formation.
It only take minutes of your time to make these flavorful and medicinal tea. Try it today. Drink it in moderation and it can work wonders.
Turmeric root is available in Asian stores or your local grocer. If not, ginger drink shares similar health benefits.
NOTE: If you have health problems, it is best to check with your doctor before drinking turmeric tea.
How to Make Turmeric Tea
How to Make Turmeric Tea
- 4 thumb size turmeric washed
- 4 to 5 cups water
- Wash and peel turmeric root into matchstick sizes. (Be sure to wear gloves as it will stain your fingers.)
- Boil water on the stove with turmeric root.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Transfer drink to pitcher using a strainer. Don't discard boiled turmeric root.
- Serve hot or cold. Add honey, sugar, lemon, orange juice or milk, if desired.
2. Don’t discard turmeric root after boiling. You can use it again for another batch.