Mixed Greens Chickpea Salad Recipe is a simple, quick salad to make with chickpea also known as garbanzo, mixed greens, cherry tomato, red onion, cottage cheese, almonds in a refreshing, light orange poppy seed dressing.
After overeating during the holidays, starting from Thanksgiving till New Year’s Eve, I want to start 2021 with something healthy like this salad.
I want some vegetables with light, healthy dressing to go with it. After a long holiday, I like something light and easy to make.
This Mixed Greens Chickpea Salad is a great way to start a healthy New Year. Of course, we need to eat healthy throughout the year especially during this crazy time.
Eating healthy as a New Year’s resolution should not last only for a month or 3 months but should be a goal through out the year.
In the early days of the pandemic, I did not go out in March and April. I had enough food to last me for 2 months. I got some of my comfort food like ice cream, chocolate and soda.
In fact, I lost 6 pounds during those months because I was just having a bite here and there to make it last for 2 months.
The only time I went out was drive around in the area without getting out of my car.
Come May, I decided it was time to go out. My 1st trip was to Lou Malnati's and ordered 2 large pizza, one was spinach and the other was sausage.
No, I did not ate them all in one sitting. I had 2 slices and the rest I froze.
On the same trip, I stopped by the grocery store curious what’s available. Of course, I got more comfort food and fruits.
I started making cookies and cakes since I was able to buy ingredients I needed. Guess what, after 2 or 3 months, I gained the weight back and more.
Of course, sugar and carbs are always the culprit and we know that. Maybe, I should practice again not going to the store…..
In fact, I might start posting vegetarian and vegan recipes. So join me and let’s start eating healthy with some treats once in a while. I am not the type to deprive myself of food I love to lose weight.
I can lose weight if I am focus. I need to exercise more like I used to and eat less carbs and sugar. I love bread and it will still be part of my diet.
One thing I need to do is buy frozen vegetables to refrain from running unnecessary errands to the store. I never buy frozen or canned vegetables, I’ve always preferred fresh ones.
Hopefully, 2021 will be a great year compared to 2020. Year 2020 taught me many lessons. A lot of things I took for granted prior to 2020 are now precious.
Anyway, all the ingredients in this salad are low in calories and nutritious, but let me tell you more about chickpeas if you are not familiar with it.
What are Chickpeas?
Chickpea also known as garbanzo bean is a plant in the legume category and are available dried or canned.
They have creamy texture with nutty buttery flavor that can enhance many recipes. It is commonly used in Vegetarian and Vegan recipes. They are used in salads, hummus, falafel, meatless recipes and more.
Canned chickpeas retain much of its nutritional value compared to other canned vegetables and they are convenient to have in one’s pantry.
They are delicious, cheap and available in most grocery stores.
Also, it has many health benefits that may help prevent various chronic diseases.
Health Benefits of Chickpea
Chickpeas are delicious and nutritious with many health benefits. Adding it to your diet is beneficial to your health. Here are some benefits listed on Healthline.
For more detailed list and explanation go to, Healthline.
(1) It is a good source of fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals and contains moderate amount of calories.
(2) It can fill you up thus lowering your calorie intake.
(3) It promotes healthy blood sugar control and weight management.
(4) Chickpeas helps with digestion due to its high fiber.
(5) It is high in nutrients that can help prevent some chronic illnesses, including heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
Try this Delicious and Healthy Mixed Greens Chickpea Salad Recipe
Have it with orange poppy seed dressing or your favorite dressing.
Mixed Greens Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 4 cups mixed greens packed
- 1 cup cherry tomato whole
- ¼ cup red onion julienne
- ¾ cup chickpea or garbanzo beans used canned chickpea & drain water
- ½ cup cottage cheese optional
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup orange freshly squeezed
- ¾ tablespoon Apple cider
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons shallot chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Combine all salad ingredients and chill before serving.
Make Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients except poppy seeds. Pulse until well blended.
- Stir-in poppy seeds.
- Transfer to a glass container or mason jar.
- Chill before serving. Mix with salad or serve on the side.
- For thicker dressing, go to Orange Poppy Seed Dressing.
- Any leftover dressing can stay in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Consume leftover salad on the same day. Mixed greens can wilt quickly.
Try Other Easy and Healthy Salad Recipe